Chapter 24

Adora stormed away from the now-empty warehouse. The officers who loitered around outside stepped out of the way and let her pass without so much as a word. She didn't spare them a single glance — instead, she kept her red, tear-filled eyes trained downwards as she hurried away from the scene.

She was halfway down the block when heard footsteps running up behind her. It was clear that whoever they belonged to was trying to catch up to her, but she pretended she didn't notice until she felt a hand close around her elbow and tugged her to a stop.

"Adora, wait." It was Glimmer.

Begrudgingly, Adora looked back at her. She expected Glimmer to be pissed — to be furious at Adora for yelling at her mom the way she had. But instead, Glimmer looked heartbroken and torn.

"I'm so sorry," Glimmer said. "If I were you, I'd be angry too."

Bow nodded solemnly at Glimmer's side. "I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. How can we help?"

"You can't," Adora replied, wiping the tears from her face with the back of her hand. "Unless you know how to release all of those kids, there's nothing any of us can do to help."

"I was talking about you, Adora," Bow said gently. "How can we help you feel better?"

Adora considered the question. Was there anything in the world that could ease the hurt and betrayal she was feeling at that moment? She combed through her memories, searching for something that would lift her spirits. But the only thing that came to mind was Catra: her squeaky laugh and mischievous smile, her weight and warmth at Adora's side on their shabby old mattress where they slept.

But Catra was gone too. Adora had nothing.

So, she shook her head. "I think this was a mistake. I should have known the police wouldn't be able to help me — not really. I should... I should probably go."

"No," Glimmer gasped, latching onto Adora's arm even tighter than before. "I know you're upset, and I don't blame you. But, please — don't give up on the Rebellion. We need you."

"Glimmer, this isn't going to work." Adora could feel frustration swelling in her chest. "The cops—your mother—they aren't listening."

"Then forget about them," Glimmer said. "We'll find a different way to bring down the Horde." She slid her hand down and laced her fingers with Adora's. With her free hand, she pulled Bow closer. "The three of us, together."

This took Adora off guard. She shook her head, uncertain if she was following the path Glimmer seemed to be leading her down. "But, what about your mom?"

Glimmer mustered a weak smile. "You're right — she's not listening. With all of the red tape and protocols she has to deal with, I don't think she can afford to."

"But the three of us don't have to worry about any of that stuff," Bow said. "So let's take advantage of it."

Adora chewed on her bottom lip. She wanted to believe them—to trust them—but so far trusting people hadn't really worked out in her favor. Did either of them really understand what they were getting themselves into?

"Are you absolutely sure?" she asked.

"Hey, we're the ones who came to you in the first place, remember?" Glimmer said with a grin. "We're in this to win."

"And we trust your expertise," Bow added. "None of us knows the Horde like you do. Not even Angella. Whatever you think will work, we support you."

Adora studied them carefully. "Even if it gets messy and... potentially illegal?"

With a delighted laugh, Glimmer looped her arm around Adora's and started walking again. "Don't threaten me with a good time. Now, c'mon — let's get out of here."