Chapter 21

It was a beautiful Tuesday morning. Ryujin is busy playing a video game on the couch when her wife approaches.

"Boo, Minjae's arriving shortly. I should go." Yuri bends down to kiss her cheek.

"Take care, boo. Say hi to Minjae for me."

Yuri stands up straight, sighing. "At least spare me a glance before I leave? From what I remember, I am the one you married, not that game."

Knowing that not listening would cause an issue, Ryujin immediately paused the game to stand up and hug her wife.

"Yes, you are the one I married." She kisses her wife's cheek. "Come on. We don't want to keep Minjae waiting for you."

"Hmph. You just want me to leave, so you can play more."

Chuckling, Ryujin throws an arm over her wife's shoulders and walks her to the door. "Update me, okay?"

"I will. I won't be long." Yuri opens the door. They kissed before she stepped out.

"Have fun!" Ryujin waves as she watches her wife walk into the elevator.

The moment the elevator dings, Ryujin quickly closes the door and hurries inside their apartment.

She dashes towards her phone to open a certain messaging app. She browsed through her contacts and called Jisu

The first ring sends Ryujin's heart into frenzy mode.

trrrt... trrrt...

It feels like forever since they last talked.

trrrt... trrrt...

Ryujin walks back and forth, a hand on her hips. The anticipation of hearing the person's voice on the other line increases her frustration.

trrrt... trrrt...

"Come on..." Ryujin bites her lower lip.

trrrt... trr--

"Hello?"

Ryujin stops on her tracks, unaware she's holding her breath.

Everything falls silent. All she can hear is the beating of her heart and a faint background murmur from the other line.

Damn. She surely missed hearing that voice.

"Ryujin?" the person speaks again, softer this time.

And Ryujin feels like she's already in heaven.

But she should stop daydreaming now.

"Jisu," she finally says. "Um. I hope I am not disturbing you. You're at work, right?"

"No. No," Jisu immediately says. "I mean, yes, I am at work. But no, you're not disturbing me."

"Oh. Good." Ryujin can hear Jisu moving, walking. She knows the woman is heading to the fire exit where she usually stays, so they can talk peacefully.

"So, how are you? Your wife told me you got chickenpox.'' There was a sound of an opening door on Jisu's side, followed by a latch. Then the background noise is gone.

"Yeah. So unlucky of me." Ryujin drops on the couch to look at her arm. "The spots have stopped appearing now. The doctor says it may leave temporary marks, but they will be gone eventually."

"Don't pick off the scabs, so it won't get infected and won't leave scars."

"Yes, unnie."

"Yah! Don't unnie me!"

They shared a hearty laugh. There are no words to describe how Ryujin missed hearing it. There's this distinct trait in Jisu's laughter that Ryujin has grown accustomed to.