[02] Repentance

Takemichi wasn't sure when he first noticed you. He just recognised you by the back of your head, if he was being honest. Your head wasn't that interesting per se; it was how you behaved in class that caught his eye.

He was someone with a lot of friends – something he saw that you lacked. As he was having fun laughing with them, he couldn't help but notice that you were the only one sitting alone eating lunch or doing homework.

Sometimes he'd hear other classmates talk smack behind your back; yet he was one of the observers who stayed on the sidelines. He didn't want to interfere with this 'small' conflict. Takemichi was busy acting high and mighty as a delinquent.

It was a few months ago, but Takemichi recalled sitting on top of his desk with his friends around him, while a group of girls on the other side of the classroom giggled. The only reason why they caught his attention was because his friend had brought up the fact that one of the girls was cute.

"Hey, hey! Don't you think she's cute?"

"I have a girlfriend, Yamagishi!" Takemichi pushed his friend out of his face.

"Yeah, but her giggles are so adorable."

"Ahah, look at [last name] again." The so-called 'cute' girl stated. "Left all alone; hopefully she joins her brother soon." Another giggle. Takemichi raised an eyebrow at her comment, unsure of what to think. But it was clear they were making fun of her.

"Takemichi! Are you listening?"

In your perspective, you didn't feel sorry for yourself. This was just going according to your plan. You didn't want to make many friends in middle school – unfortunately, you were too afraid of getting hurt by them. Besides, these classmates of yours weren't very nice, not sure if you'd ever get along with any of them...

Being alone meant that you couldn't rely on people to help you with work, but that was okay. You were smart on your own (kind of). Those girls making fun of you for sitting on your own? They'll get their just desserts sooner or later.

Takemichi made a mental note to protect you from those nasty words and to invite you whenever he could. He didn't want to see you alone! Besides, it looked like Hina really wanted to be friends with you. If it's for Hina, he'd do anything for her.

———

"I thought we agreed that we'd walk to school together." Hina sighed as she dragged her feet across the concrete. "When I knocked on her door, her mother said that she had already left. Apparently, she leaves home at seven o'clock in the morning! I wake up at that time."

"Hina, maybe she didn't remember? I mean, it was late and [last name]-san is a bit of an airhead."

"Takemichi-kun, don't be rude! Just because she's not here doesn't mean you can badmouth her!"

"R-Right! I've learned my lesson! I won't don't again." Takemichi took off his shoes and changed them into his indoor ones. "I'll see you later, Hina?"

"Yeah! And you said you were in the same class as her, right? Can you ask her if you can have her phone number? I want to text her and see what she's up to."

"Um... I'll try. See you!" When the girl had left, Takemichi got some time to think about you. It would be odd just to approach you randomly and it might make you feel uncomfortable; so, should he even talk to you at all? But Hina wanted– He didn't know what to do!

"Takemichi? What are you doing banging your head against your shoe locker?"

"Akkun!"

"You do realise other people need their shoes too?" The plum-haired boy pulled his friend away and into the hallway. "You seem more on edge this morning. What's up? A fight with Hina?"