[09] Reassuring Trust

Hanagaki Takemichi for some reason had no utter memory of your presence in 2017, prior to his first time leap. It was like you had never existed despite... well, existing, when he was in middle school.

"[last name] [name], you say?" An adult-looking Naoto spun in his wheely chair to face Takemichi. The latter who was currently sitting on the temporary hospital bed in the room. "Of course I knew her." After Takemichi had gone into the past, you suddenly showed up in the 'new' timeline. Although you weren't part of his original goal of saving Hinata, he was just curious to know where you were in the present day.

"You do?! Tell me about her. What's she doing now?"

"What does she have to do anything with my sister's death? If anything, she has nothing to do with it." Naoto clicked his tongue a few times before opening a few tabs up on his laptop.

"We've become good friends," Takemichi wasn't lying that much, you were friends (despite you always saying acquaintances), "so I was just wondering."

"I'm surprised you don't remember her though. Well, I suppose you weren't interested in her life in the original timeline." Naoto took in a deep breath and stopped fiddling with his keyboard. "[last name]-chan committed suicide in 2007, on May 28th."

"...What? 2007? You mean, two years later? Why? Why did she do that?"

"She... I'm not too sure on the facts actually. I would love to answer your questions, but I don't have the full details of the case. I'll look into it later on." Takemichi just nodded, still taken aback by this news he was told. "I just remember nee-san and her being good friends—we were neighbours after all. Nee-san would never shut up about her if I'm being honest. However, that happiness all ended when [last name]-chan died. I think she wrote letters to everyone she was close to. Maybe you might have one, Takemichi-kun? You might not remember."

"I... I don't understand though. She's been so happy lately, with Hina, with Emma-chan... with Toman!" Takemichi scratched his head with his nails. "I don't... I can't remember anything..."

"The one thing I can vividly remember from her death... was the effect it had on my sister." Naoto turned to look at his desktop, "After hearing what happened, she cried everyday; and I remember seeing her so devastated. I wasn't close with [last name]-chan, but she always treated me and nee-san well. Even though she was a little blunt at times, it always made nee-san smile."

"How... How did she die, Naoto? Like, the specifics."

"Give me a second... 'Teenager, 16, commits suicide by overdosing on over the counter pills. It was one month the school year, when student [last name] [name]..." Naoto read the article he found on the internet. Takemichi was still in shock. How could he have let you die? No, how could Toman have let you die? "Takemichi, you should– No, saving [last name]-chan will be put into your mission list. I don't ever want to see my sister cry like that again... and I don't want... I don't want [last name]-chan to face that future either."

"I'll save her too. [last name]-san has become a good friend... and to think that she went through... all of that. I'll definitely save her as well."

———

For some reason, you felt that someone was staring at you a bit more intensely than usual. You've always been stared at in one way or the other, but this was truly a menacing glare you were receiving. Goosebumps were appearing on your forearms as the stare continued.

You looked to the left – then right; no one was staring. That's when you realised that there was really only one other person who would dare to stare blankly at the back of your head. As you suspected, when you turned around, Takemichi had an intense look stuck on his face. He certainly wasn't looking at the board of math notes, but instead, at your uninteresting head.