[03] Sweet Dreams

It was a pleasant and tranquil weekend here at the shrine. Despite it being twelve o'clock in the afternoon, no one was in the area-except for you. Currently, you were reading a book under the nice shade of a nearby tree. Being out and about during the spring was certainly fun and relaxing.

There was something about reading alone in nice weather. Perhaps it was the fact like you were in another world; or another timeline where you were the only person in the universe. You placed your book down with the pages facing the grass to ensure your page didn't get lost and looked towards the Shinto bell.

It felt like it was only just yesterday when you were running around with our brother at this place. You recalled his favourite thing to do with you here was to play hide and seek. He wouldn't ever come out until you cried your heart out underneath the tree you were currently sitting by. Turns out his usual hiding spots were on top of the tree itself.

Those memories... were bittersweet.

"This damn Mikey, can't ever take him out to eat without him falling asleep." You looked towards your right and noticed Draken carrying Mikey on his back towards the shrine. "...Huh? You're that girl from last week."

"We meet again." You lifted up your book and put a bookmark into the page. "Are you going to sacrifice Mikey-san to the Gods, Draken-san? If so, please use me instead of Mikey-san. I don't think he'd appreciate it if you did that while he was unconscious."

"Are you stupid? Of course I'm not going to sacrifice him." The taller male approached you and looked down. "If I were to do that, Mikey would bring me to hell with him." You scooted over to the left and patted the spot beside you, gesturing Draken to put Mikey there so he could lean on the tree to continue his slumber.

Draken cautiously did so, and took a seat in front of the two of you. He was surprisingly allowing you get near Mikey, even though you were a complete stranger. But it was most likely because he knew that you couldn't-more like wouldn't-do anything to Mikey. "So, what are you two doing here without your gang? I see in movies all the time that the leader never goes anywhere without at least ten of his men."

"That's in movies, of course. Mikey's strong enough to walk around on his own. Toman rules over this area anyways... Not to mention this place is our headquarters." No wonder they had congregated here that one night. That explained a why no body was here... it was an unspoken fact that delinquents hung around here. It probably scared the public off.

"Is this also your usual hang out spot?"

"Mikey just wanted to come here since it was a nice day. But as usual, after eating at that family restaurant though... he fell asleep when I was carrying him here." You chuckled at the fact Mikey was acting like a child. It sounded like something you would do on the way home from the park with your brother. "So, what are you doing here? You've been interrogating me since I sat down."

"Oh, pardon me. I didn't realise I was doing that. To answer your question, this is also my usual hang out spot. I'm very surprised that we've never met sooner though; I'm here almost every weekend and sometimes during the night as well. Yet, I've never encountered any of you guys." You tapped your cheek as you dug out memories of the past few years. "I suppose that's a good thing though; not having to get into trouble with gangs."

"I've noticed... do you have something against us? You say 'gangs' with such distaste in your voice. It's getting on my nerves." Draken scratched his head and leaned back on his other hand.

"Gangs... I don't like them. Sure, some might preach that they're the good guys doing things for justice... doing it for friends. But in the end, they're all the same. They'll just kill each other for power. Why does it matter who's on top? ...It just leads to unnecessary fighting and killing."