[22] Distractions

It was currently after school on the 23rd of September – more specifically, two days before Emma's birthday. Thanks to everything that had been happening in the past 2 weeks, you haven't been able to find the time to find her a gift. It shouldn't be too hard, right? Is what you told yourself on your way to the department store.

But after walking your way up from the first to the fourth floor, it seemed like the choice became even broader. You call Emma a friend... yet, what exactly did she like? Hair accessories? Jewellery? Clothes? Or perhaps she liked art supplies? The options were endless. When Mikey reminded you of her special day last week, you were brought into a panic the moment your brain registered the information.

"...Should I give Mikey-san a call? But knowing him, he's probably aslee–" You were rudely interrupted in your own speech when you noticed a group of five boys coming your way. Judging from their appearance and the way they walked—in a so-called 'gangster' way—you deduced that they were high schoolers. Maybe if you just minded your business in front of this clothing store, they would walk straight past?

However, you were never on Lady Luck's side. "Hey there." The leader of the group placed his grimy hand on the window of the store, "What's a girl like you doing here by yourself?" You were tempted to just sock him right then and there. But knowing the others, they would retaliate – and you weren't in the position to fight back.

You were forced into the white wall that divided the clothing shop with the adjacent one. This was bad, and it hasn't even been a minute yet. "...I'm shopping? What else am I supposed to be here for?" Seems like they didn't appreciate your sarcasm.

"Now, now. Don't be a smart ass." The tallest boy took a step forward and towered over you, "Say, since you're alone, why don't we all go out somewhere. Come on, it'll be our treat." Like these guys would actually have any money.

From the opposite side of the department store, was a boy with one hand in his pocket and the other typing away on his phone. "If Souya wanted shampoo and snacks, then he should get it himself... or even have mom buy it." He was minding his own business when he had to overheard the many whisperings of the nearby people about some thugs in the area.

Were they talking about him? They shouldn't be. He was in his school uniform. Was it his hair? Usually, people wouldn't think an afro would be associated with thug activities.

Nahoya turned his head towards where everyone else was looking at. What he didn't expect was to see a group of huge high schoolers crowding around what seemed to be a school girl. Did they have no pride? Who goes around in a public place to pick on (or even pick up) girls?

He couldn't help but feel bad for the girl they were surrounding. Perhaps he should help... Wait, was that who he think he saw? He recognised that uniform. How was this person able to get into so much trouble so quickly? It was literally like yesterday (he was exaggerating) when you were in hospital.

He put his phone into his pocket and sprinted down the path towards you. When he reached the group, he shoved the boy in front of him to get to where you were. "Let's go."

"Nahoya...san?" The boy grabbed your wrist and pulled you out of the circle. "Woah–" You weren't expecting him to take you and run away from the boys to a different part of the department store.

"Did they do anything to you?" He kept turning back to see if they were following, and of course they were.

"No, they just approached me. Um, Nahoya-san... thank–"

"Save it. It's what anyone should do. I don't need your thanks." He didn't bother to look back at your face. You didn't need to see the blush on his face. "But... it's good that I saved you in time."