[15] Letter of Gratitude

"Takemichi-kun, aside from all our research on Toman in 2017, I did end up taking out some time to research the death of [last name] [name] in 2007." Naoto took a seat in his chair and waved around some papers in front of the now black-haired boy.

Takemichi always found it a bit dizzy whenever he would time leap back into the future... or more like the present, and then have to face Naoto. He was sure his sudden headache was just from seeing Naoto's face though. "I've also been doing some side work on my own."

"Then we'll go through what you've found out about [name]-san after I tell you some things."

"Huh?! You're on a first name basis with her?" Takemichi wasn't even sure Naoto even knew you. He doesn't ever recall seeing him with you, even though he was usually with Hina most of the time.

"Don't act so shocked. [name]-san and I were close in this timeline. She came over to our house a lot and I got to know her a little bit better. Anyway, enough of that." Naoto cleared his throat. "The date of when she committed suicide was still the same this time round. May 28th 2007. So far, I haven't found anything special to do with the day. Everything was under wraps and Toman, well, they had obviously grown larger but there are no clues about their involvement with her death. Her cause of death was the same too, and the location was the same – in her bedroom. But this time her body was found"—Naoto took a glance at Takemichi before continuing; the other boy's lips were quivering—"by my sister."

"Hina found... [last name]-san's body...?"

"In the last timeline, her parents were the ones to find her body. But since Hina and [name]-san went to the same high school, they made a pact that they would walk to school together. I was there when they made that promise. But, anyway, after the autopsy and the logistics, it was found as a suicide. The report on her death has minimal clues since her life was very secretive."

Takemichi had to use a bit more brain power for this one. He felt like something was missing, but then realised, "Oh, Naoto! Those letters! You said she gave everyone letters the last time, right?"

"Yeah, that was my next point. This time, I was able to see how many letters she wrote since nee-san was the one who distributed them. There were ten in total, excluding the ones addressed to her immediate family. Me, you, nee-san, Sano Manjirō-san, Ryūjugi Ken-san, Matsuno Chifuyu-san, Mitsuya Takashi-san, Kawata Nahoya-san, Kawata Souya-san and Sano Emma-san."

"There wasn't one to... Baji-kun?"

"In the contents of my letter, it read amongst the lines of thanking me for being a friend to her. She wanted to get to know me better, rather than just being known as Hina's brother. [name]-san told me to take care of my sister in the letter." Naoto finally understood why you were being so weird that one day; why you asked him out of the blue to make sure he took care of Hina in your absence.

"Did it say anything about why..." Takemichi didn't want to continue his sentence. Even in this timeline, he still wasn't able to help you out when you most needed it.

"No. I presume it was because I was only fifteen back then. She didn't want to go into details about her feelings... Perhaps, we weren't as close as I had thought." Naoto shook his head of his thoughts, "Takemichi-kun, I took the liberty of going to your disgusting apartment to find this letter."

"You what?!"

"Surprisingly, you kept it in good condition after all these years. I found it in your cupboard underneath a few of your childhood trinkets. I didn't open it either, if that's what you're wondering. I'd rather you read it first and tell me what it's about."

"Yeah..." Takemichi received the letter from Naoto. In the top left corner, was Takemichi's full name and in the bottom left was yours. He wondered if he even read it back in 2007. He mentally prepared himself by doing some breathing exercises before opening up the envelope.