[29] Saving A Year

The morning of February 22 2006—it was the day Kisaki had told you to meet. You've been at the shrine for a while now, unsure of when he'll be showing his ugly face. You were ready; ready to die.

There wasn't anything in your way, you had said your goodbyes and you've tossed everything else out of the window. Kisaki just had to do his job properly. The wait at the shrine was short-lasting – you could hear the stupid roar of Kisaki's motorcycle by the stairs.

You took in a few deep breaths and prepared yourself for what was to come. Kisaki and his henchman Hanma, approached; the former carrying a baseball bat with... was that blood on it?

"Good to see you're prompt. About our deal," He was wasting no time going straight in, "I've had to make a few arrangements. If you choose not to die, I'll kill only your parents. Not Hina or Sano Emma. How does that sound?"

"Still sounds like a crappy deal to me. Why the sudden change? What the hell did you do?"

Kisaki pushed up his glasses and held up the bat, "You see, on our way here, we hit a road bump. The road bump being... Sano Emma. So, since she's out of the way, there's no need to put her life on the line."

"...What?" There was no way he was telling the truth. But he had no reason to lie– No, he had all the reason to lie. What did he get from killing Emma though? No, it must've been on Kurokawa's orders... or was it Kisaki being a damn sociopath?

"I killed Sano Emma." He threw the baseball bat behind him for Hanma to pick up and approached you, "Now, it's your turn." You were still stuck on the fact that Emma was supposedly dead. There was just no way. Even with all your warnings; that small promise; she... died? Just like that. "I'm feeling adventurous today, so I'd like to do the honours."

"Kisa–!" Before you could even finish saying his name, he had cut you off by firing the first bullet. "...Huh?" The adrenaline had kicked in the moment you heard the gun shot; you were still in disbelief that your body didn't feel the pain in your thigh. "Kisaki! What the hell?!"

"I thought I told you to be ready." He was right, and you did prepare yourself. But not enough, you guessed. You fell onto your bottom and cradled your fresh wound. Perhaps you were expecting him to kill you off in one shot, not in multiple bullet shots. "How did your brother die again? One in the shoulder right?"

Another bullet was fired—perfectly hitting just below your right collarbone. At this point, you were just accepting your fate. There was no point screaming, shouting or standing up to face him. You were going to die. You whined quite loudly once your brain had registered the pain.

"How pathetic. Just last week, you were so brave now look at you." Kisaki squat down to observe the movements of your wounded body. Anybody could see that you were on death's door. "As a parting gift to you, I'll tell you why exactly I decided to kill you. I wasn't lying when I said you were getting in the way of my plans. You ruined August 3rd and Bloody Halloween. Who knows what you could've done now if I didn't take care of you. The second reason—I wanted to get back at Mikey. You're the person he cares about most. Getting rid of you... opens up a spot for me to become the next Mikey."

"K-Kisaki... you're a... bastard."

"One last thing. The man who shot your brother twice... he was a former friend of mine. We met back when I became a delinquent. He told me all about his adventures as a member of Hisuibi. Too bad he killed himself a year later since he was a fugitive. So, [last name]... before you die, any last words?"

"...Thanks..." Kisaki furrowed his eyebrows. Were you seriously thanking him in a situation like this? "...for saving me a year." He didn't want to hear your idiotic voice any longer.