One.

PILOT

"Okay mom, I gotta go.", I whined trying to pull away from the hug she was trapping me in. She held onto me tighter and I let her because as much as she was going to miss me, I was going to miss her more.

I wasn't really ready to leave home but it's needed. I need a new environment and my mom agrees which is why I'm leaving.

She finally pulled away from the hug and grabbed my face softly, "I love you Sam. Call me whenever you need me and I promise I will make the drive." I smiled and nodded, "I love you too mom."

She let go of my face as my stepdad walked in. He put all my bags and everything I needed in my car for me.

"Thank you.", I thanked giving him a hug as well.

Travis is a great stepdad, he always tried to be there for me and do the best he could and I appreciate that because my own father didn't even try at all... and I know my mom and dad splitting up had nothing to do with him so I don't use that as an excuse to be unwilling to let him in. That would've been unfair to him.

After pulling away from the hug, I waved one more time then walked out the house to my car and got in. They stood on the steps and watched as I turned my car on and started to pull off.

I really can't believe I'm leaving...

I'm going to have to get used to a new school and new people and I don't know if I'm ready. I've gotten so used to living here that I really don't want anything to change. I liked how everything was... at least before Naomi passed.

I miss her so much. I wish she was here with me...

I grab my phone and take my case off and pull the polaroid picture I have of us out of the case. This is the last picture I took with her before she took her life... it's really crazy because I didn't know she was hurting and I was supposed to be her best friend. I was supposed to be the person she could talk to about the things that were hurting her.

And I feel like I wasn't there for her because I should've noticed. I blame myself for it everyday because out of all people, I should've noticed.

It's really true what they say... you never really know somebody's feelings behind the smile they put on in public. Someone's life could be falling apart and they could still walk around with the brightest personality and nobody would even guess anything bad was happening to them.

And that's how it was for my best friend.

I keep every picture and every memory of her with me at all times. I made a promise to her that I was going to never forget her and make sure I achieve the goals I told her I was going to achieve. Everything I'm working toward is not only for myself or my mom, but also for Naomi.

To achieve those goals, I felt like I needed a fresh start so I transferred colleges a couple hours away. I still wanted to be close to home but I wanted to be far enough to where I didn't feel like I was suffocating in what happened to Naomi.

I realized my eyes were starting to fill with tears so I quickly rubbed them and turned my music on. Hopefully this 3 hour drive, flys by. I'm already ready to lay down.

•••

I stand at the door waiting for a response. I had already knocked 3 times and I don't wanna be annoying and keep knocking but I was holding my bags and I felt like I was about to drop everything.