#3 - Deposit and Mind Lost

Arms folded across her chest, Azalea radiated irritation as she watched Cayce rush around his apartment. "You must be suicidal."

"I'm not going on the run without Hunter, I don't care who's after me."

Azalea looked down at the black shepherd mix sitting beside her in the doorway. His tongue lolled out of his mouth, occasionally whining at her. He liked new friends but she had yet to pet him. "Organic Freddie Kruger is who's after you," she quipped, ignoring the dog's pleading.

"That's helpful. Besides, Intern exposed his powers. The authorities have labeled him an idol menace by now and he's probably got his own problems. He wasn't exactly oozing stealth earlier," Cayce relayed from various parts of his apartment as he gathered things together.

"I exposed myself too," she said. "You don't really seem concerned or surprised with my idol status."

Cayce tossed her a hastily stuffed backpack before turning to the fridge and rummaging. "I wasn't surprised. I know when idols are around."

Suspicion fell over her features. "What do you mean, you know?"

"Well... I just know." He paused a moment before grabbing a six pack of beer and heading towards the door. "I didn't know about Intern though. Not even a raised hair on the back of my neck. It's weird. That's never happened. Usually I get a feeling about someone a mile away and give 'em some distance."

Azalea started to say something and then stopped. "Do you hear that?"

At their feet, Hunter whined and tilted his head to one side, listening along with them. Growing in intensity, sirens echoed in the distance.

"You had to have your dog."

"I will leave you here girl-I-just-met," he said herding them all towards the exit.

A thud against door froze them in their tracks. The duo shared anxious glances.

"F@!&." Cayce pivoted and grabbed a cushion from the loveseat. Using it as a shield, he covered as much of himself and his dog as possible. Milliseconds later the whole front structure of the apartment splintered open. A storm of debris burst into the room, annihilating the TV, shredding the couch and battering Cayce and Hunter.

The air was thick. In the newly renovated part of the building, Intern stood silhouetted by the setting sun. The bones of his mutated arm spun, creating swirling clouds of dust in the air.

"Please!" Intern laughed dryly. "Stop insulting me! Your address is on every other form at the clinic! I'm a doctor! I've seen your chart!" His intensity peaked and the last came out eerily calm. "I've read about your weaknesses. I know the names of your next of kin."

Cayce lowered the cushion that saved him from wood to the face. Hunter was intact as well but startled. That was all good but the mohawked man didn't appreciate his family being threatened.

"Excuse me?" He stated, voice firm.

"You heard me. When I'm done here-" Intern shook his head. "I am not monologuing."

"You were."

"I stopped," Intern replied simply.

"You can't kill me without telling me why," Cayce reasoned.

Intern seemed to struggle with that thought for a moment. As he did, Azalea whacked him across the face with what appeared to be a piece of the door frame. He stumbled, his body turning, bone shards swinging. His knees hit the ground, knife-sharp ivory churning the space occupied by an intangible Az.

"Horrible timing," yelled Cayce. "He was about to do the big reveal!"

She frowned at him then kicked Intern in the face, sending the idol sprawling. "Or he was going to kill you. Why am I helping you again?"

Cayce shrugged. "I have no idea. When's that reveal coming?"

Hunter barked from his safe place on the sofa as the idol scrambled to his feet and poised for another attack, bringing the bickering duo's attention back to where it was needed.

The maniac in the lab coat roared his frustration and charged towards his real target. Cayce lobbed his battered sofa cushion at the idol which was quickly obliterated. Foam filled every ounce of space as Cayce scrambled to avoid the hit. Azalea lunged for Intern, narrowly managing to snatch his tie out of the air. His growls were cut off with his oxygen but he caught his balance. Without turning, he jerked his head violently backwards, bashing Azalea's brow. Caught off guard, she took the full force of the strike and collapsed.