#25 - The Author is a Jerk

They headed straight back to Pyro's apartment. It wasn't a lucky guess so much as a sharp command issued in Azalea's head. So good to have things back to normal. Sure enough Pyro's vehicle was parked in its usual spot but the vigilante and Doctor were no where in sight.

Azalea wasted no time pushing the Man in Black out of the truck and they were all quickly gathered by the passenger side cab.

"You two stay here," Azalea directed her words at Cayce and Gia.

Cayce would have laughed if he wasn't so irritated by her command. "No way," he said, making a sweeping gesture with his arms. "In fact I say we chalk this up as a loss. I'm really, really going to miss Pyro but that b#$%& can THINK you handicapped. What exactly is it you plan to do?"

The Man in Black dipped his head in agreement. "The anarchist is right, Dearest. Allow me to handle this task to make up for my earlier... errors in judgment."

"Is that what they call attempted homicide these days?" Cayce quipped.

"Fine," Azalea said, folding her arms and leaning against the truck.

The Man in Black gave a shallow bow and headed into the building.

"Pretty s@#$ty letting him go it alone," Azalea muttered, more to herself than anyone else.

"No one made him." Gia paced around nervously, Hunter on her heels. She paused, the dog bumping into the back of her legs. "I don't know why you've been so Team Crazy anyway. He's pretty much tried to kill all of us. If he manages to save Pyro then at least he'll have done something worthwhile."

"I don't know about worthwhile, but at least not pure evil," Cayce corrected.

Azalea could feel her anger swelling, knots bunching up in her shoulders making her stance rigid. Her fuse had been thoroughly burned at both ends today and she was done. "Maybe I'm on Team Crazy because I hear a voice in my head, Stupid," she snapped. "He isn't evil, just messed up. The same kind of messed up I could be or Cayce if we had an ability as powerful as his."

"But you'd never try to hurt us," Gia reasoned.

Azalea looked at the teen. "That doesn't mean the voice never told me to."

Everyone grew quiet and stared straight ahead at the apartment complex.

Under their feet, the earth trembled slightly for less than a second. Hunter whined.

All this caution was simply not Azalea's style. Maybe it was reckless but it had served her well enough over the years.

"That's it. I'm going," Azalea said, making it one step before Cayce stopped her.

"Not without me."

The blonde huffed. "Give me ten minutes."

Cayce laughed. "Hell no. You know, I thought we sorted this out. No more bulls@#$."

"Five?" she offered.

"No," he replied firmly.

"It's so weird how I used to do this without you." Azalea muttered.

"Yeah? Well now you don't have to," he said, clasping his hands together. "So let's do this."

Azalea knew arguing further would be pointless. "Gia, stay here," she said as if there was a need. The teen nodded, a bit wide eyed even being in the same vicinity of a dangerous idol. Azalea snapped her fingers at the dog. "Hunter you're with us. We might need you to do your Linda Blair impersonation."

Hunter barked and Azalea wondered for a second if maybe idol abilities increased intelligence. Then she looked again at that dumb, eager face and dismissed it. He just liked the sound of his name.