#9 - Macey Day Massacre

Much to Azalea's surprise and relief, the night and following morning was free of bickering. Cayce was asleep on the air mattress before it had even been fully inflated. When Pyro came home, he made a beeline to bed as well. Az took the time to sort out her thoughts. The voice in her head had been a bit more silent than usual and she found it very unnerving. Normally it drove her mad but it seemed content with her actions and she knew that was never good. It was only placated by drama or danger of some kind.

She sighed and stared at Cayce sleeping in the living area off the kitchen. Perhaps there was still plenty of drama to be had.

"Morning," Pyro said quietly as he exited his room. He didn't care about waking Cayce up so much as he wanted Azalea to himself for a moment. "Didn't you sleep at all?"

The blonde sighed wearily. "I'm fine."

"Not what I asked," he said as he went about getting himself some breakfast.

"No," she relented. "I tried but I don't know. Still too much adrenaline maybe."

The off duty vigilante set his things down, then pushed a glass of tea Azalea's way. "Caffeine probably isn't the way to go if you want to try to sleep soon but actually I was hoping you'd join me today. But if you want to rest-"

"No," she interrupted him, accepting the drink. "I have utterly no interest in sleeping. Where to?"

"Yeah," Cayce said loudly, roused from his sleep. "Where to?"

All suited up, Cayce refused to believe Pyro about their destination until they were actually there. At the point of in your face reality, fooling yourself gets hard. A gymnasium full of excited elementary school children would require much more denial than Cayce was capable of. Then again the last twenty-four hours had been pretty unreal.

As they entered the gym, a man stepped away from a group of school faculty and approached them.

"You didn't mention you were bringing any other-" The stern man in his snappy business suit struggled for a polite phrase. "-team mates. As principal I'm responsible for the safety of the student body."

On point, Pyro aimed his charisma at the principal. "I realize my man here looks a bit like a bank robber but that is a lesson for these kids in itself! You can't judge a book by its cover after all."

N-V felt the familiar surge of anger rising up in himself. "Better than looking like a male stripper," he muttered.

Azalea shot him a dirty look. "Don't start. You invited yourself."

He huffed under his mask and crossed his arms in defiance. Time to put all that therapy to good use he supposed.

The principal didn't look quite swayed.

"And I'll be the only one speaking," Pyro D finished.

It was a direct hit. The man stepped aside and the floor was theirs.

Without missing a beat, Pyro D took center stage and the children quieted down as he spoke. On and on he droned about respecting each other and how it isn't right to be a bully. Cayce found it tedious but the children were hypnotized. He cast his green eyes to Az, who seemed about as entertained as he was. Guess she wasn't completely susceptible to the dazzling vigilante's powers.

There was still hope to turn this situation around.

"Ahem," Cayce said obnoxiously, stepping to the forefront. The result was a stunned silent Pyro D.

"These kids are smart. They all know how to behave! What we all really want to know is what its like to fight crime?!"

The kids broke from the spell instantly and roared in approval. Cayce egged them on. "See? Don't be modest, let's talk about you! Where did you get that spifforific suit and does it stop bullets? How about punches?"