#8 - Pie-rod

Completely blanketed by darkness, the city was a haven of shadows and fluorescence. Bars lined the streets and it was evident that all the children of the night had come out to cause mischief. Pulsing music filtered out of the buildings, exhibiting a liveliness that neither Azalea or Cayce were feeling. It had been one of the longer days either had endured but that served only to drive home how they needed a place to crash.

Pyro D turned out to be an easy man to spot in a crowd. It was as good as Cayce had envisioned and he grinned broadly despite his fatigue.

"So Pie Rod is the six foot freak in red leather, right? Or is that stereotyping of some sort?"

"Shut it. I'm not sleeping in that car because you have a smart mouth." Az whispered harshly as they came upon Pyro D.

Taken right out of the pages of a comic, sans any super abilities, Pyro D posed dramatically. A perfectly styled man, he had stopped to take a picture with some club goers. After a salute to see the fans off, he finally noticed Azalea and Cayce approaching. His charm turned up to eleven and he closed the gap between himself and the masked blonde, picking her up off the ground in a fierce hug.

"Oh my god Revy! I missed you girl!" He set her down. "Sorry for the circumstances but I'm freaking excited you're back!"

"Revy?" Cayce asked.

"Short for Revenant. A vigilante title perfect for her ethereal powers." Pyro D elaborated, still beaming at her. "Came up with it myself."

"Of course you did," Cayce said. It seemed to him that he wasn't the only one out of his element. Az looked uncomfortable but what did he know, he'd only met her that morning. These were her buddies and he'd never been to Verde Valley in his life. It was her show and Cayce was all too aware he was only along for the ride at this point. He hated it.

Azalea pulled away from crimson man, stoic in contrast to his animated ways. "Pyro," she started, cutting off any other remarks Cayce might have been planning. "I want to say thank you for offering us a place to stay. Broken Hill was a mess and that idol was a maniac. He kinda unnerved me. I just get this feeling like he was the first of... something."

Pyro D put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, waiting until she looked at him to speak. "You are being absolutely paranoid but on the off chance you aren't, V3 is here for you and so am I."

Cayce felt bile rising and coughed in an effort to clear his throat. This guy was too much. The noise was enough to break Az free of the Pyro D hypnotism show.

She shrugged away from Pyro, closer to her newer acquaintance. "I don't know how much Gia filled you in, but this is Cayce. He-"

"I kicked an idol smack in his sternum. What super hero thing have you done today?"

Pyro smiled, but it was a far cry from the inviting expression he had shared with Azalea. There was a darkness to it, a preview of the pissing contest to come. "I've called cabs for inebriated bar patrons and potentially saved countless lives. Who did you save, yourself?"

"Azalea."

The exchange caught the blonde off guard and she scrambled to wedge herself between them verbally and physically. "Pyro, Pyro it has been the longest day ever. I know you wanted us to patrol with you but-"

"I understand. I have a few more hours of service to the people but you can head over to my apartment now if you like. You remember where it is," He stated coolly as he pulled a key chain from his multi-pocketed belt. He removed a key and handed it to Az, his piercing blue eyes never straying from Cayce.

"Yeah. Thanks. Come on, N-V."

"A pleasure!" Cayce barked as Azalea led him away. "Lets hang out tomorrow and hand out condoms to hookers!"

"I will leave you here guy-I-just-met!" She growled.

At that he settled down in recognition of her clever twist on his words. The two piled into the car once more. First they had to pick up Hunter from Gia's but then it would be a straight shot to Pyro's pad. If he was lucky, Cayce thought, Pie Rod would be shot by a drug dealer as narcotic pushers aren't really afraid of delusional people with mace. Then and only then could he sleep well in the douche bag's apartment. Based on his current run of luck, his little fantasy would remain as such. Then again if adults could parade around in costumes then perhaps he could hold on to his twisted dream as well.