#10.5 - Heart of Stone

Silver flashed as Azalea flicked a quarter between her fingers. It wasn't an average twenty-five cents but one of the special state coins that had been issued in America some time ago; Wisconsin specifically. On the front was the standard raised impression of Washington but the back featured a dairy cow, wheel of cheese and an ear of corn.

Fun fact, when the coins were minted, two variations made it into circulation. The 'mistake' featured extra leaves on the husk of corn. Collectors went mad, some paying well over a grand for a perfectly imperfect disc.

Azalea had no idea about the possible monetary value of her coin. Hers was priceless, the physical representation of a memory. Simply holding the quarter triggered her brain.

A scene played in her mind from her V3 past with perfect clarity whether she wanted it to or not.

***

7:00 p.m.

Golden hues cast from the sunset highlighted red leather, setting it on fire. Every slight movement caused muscle to flex, threatening to burst the seams of the precisely tailored costume. Pyro was six feet, two inches of comic book glory personified but that was not what Azalea found so mesmerizing. It was his smile, wide and unreserved. It was as if the man had somehow managed to avoid sadness his entire life. Was that even possible?

"Patrol downtown another hour or call it quits?" Pyro asked, phone in hand to check the time.

Azalea shrugged, doing her best impersonation of someone brimming with indifference and apathy. "Either way."

The crimson crusader's lips twisted to one side in annoyance. "Oh come on," he said. "You always do that."

"Do what?"

"Be all indecisive. Pick for once, Revy."

She let out a breath full of anxiety. Generally she didn't have to make choices. Hell, it wasn't even her idea to go by the name Azalea, not that she would ever relay that information to anyone. Being titled by some supernatural being made her feel like a... pet. That is, assuming the voice in her head was someone else and not an unrecognized descent into madness.

"Does it really matter?" She asked, dodging.

"Fine," Pyro resigned. He wouldn't spend ten minutes trying to coax her otherwise like the time before. "Let's flip for it then." His hand moved to his pouched belt and removed a quarter. "Heads or tails? Pick one of those at least."

"Tails."

He tossed the coin into the air with a flick of his thumb, catching it before fell too far. As he observed the results, his brow knitted up in confusion. "Huh," he said. "It landed on corn."

"Corn?"

"Yep. I think that means we should get something to eat."

Pyro passed her the quarter and it was true. Corn.

So they embarked on the quest the coin had issued. A few blocks passed under their feet before the unmistakeable scent of vegetable oil drifted down the street towards them. Pyro sped up, always eager to eat anything and everything. Only paces away, he skidded to a halt.

Azalea nearly crashed into him. "What is it?"

"Over there. Drug deal." His voice was quiet but full of urgency as he pointed across the street. Three youths were gathered, facing each other: one in a jacket, another with a bright red beanie and the last in a white wife beater. After an exchange, Jacket departed. "Hey!" Pyro shouted. His boots kicked up gravel as he dashed towards them recklessly.

Surprised, Azalea struggled to catch up but the faux vigilante reached them first.

Red Beanie and Wife Beater had started to take off, that is before they noticed his costume. Any fear that had risen, dissipated as the two launched into fits of giggles.

Pyro was not put off as he came to a stop in front of the suspected narcotic dealers. "Glad you find getting arrested so hilarious," he stated as Azalea reached his side.

Wife Beater stopped laughing. "Arrested? What is this dumb b@!%& talking about?"

"Sticks and stoners may break-"

"Don't banter, Pyro D," Azalea interjected.

Smirking, Red Beanie said, "I didn't realize this was Gotham."

His partner shook his head. "Batman is way cooler than this guy. No, he's more like Daredevil."

"Who?"

"Blind guy, you know? Played by Ben Affleck."

Red Beanie punched his partner's shoulder. "Fool, Ben Affleck is Batman!"

"He's not my Batman," Wife Beater muttered, rubbing his arm.

As their argument resolved, the two turned back to witness Pyro ending a phone call. "Oh are you done?" he asked. "That was the police. They'll be here shortly."

The fuse was lit.

"Mother f@!%&er!" Red Beanie yelled, rage on full display. "You think playing superhero is all fun and games?!" The youth pulled something from his pocket. It clicked as a steel blade jutted into view, flashing dangerously. "Is it fun now?!"

Pyro held his ground. "It will be if you're man enough to use that."

Boom.

Just as Red Beanie was about to thrust his blade forward, Azalea phased through Pyro, placing herself between them.

The two thugs' eyes went wide with shock at her intangibility. "What the f@!%?"

She smiled, not ashamed to use idol stigma to her advantage. "I can also melt brains with my voice."

They hesitated. Azalea rolled her eyes then began to hum a note. No further encouragement was needed as Red Beanie and Wife Beater took off at top speeds down the street with hands over their ears.

Pyro fidgeted, antsy, like he wanted to pursue them.

"Don't even," Azalea warned. "You almost got stabbed just now."

"I could have handled them," he assured her. "Wait, were you concerned about me?"

"Yeah I'm staying at your place," the blonde replied.

"No," he grinned. "I think that's love."

Azalea folded her arms across her chest in defiance. "Don't be ridiculous."

"Sure," Pyro said, the word dripping with sarcasm. "Thanks anyway for the save."

"Thanks isn't good enough. I just risked a lot for you."

"You're right, it isn't." He leaned into her, pausing less than an inch away from her lips. She didn't move, didn't take a breath. He accepted that as an invitation and closed the gap. Azalea lost herself, sinking into his touch. It was over too quickly and not soon enough. "Heroes get kissed," he spoke, forehead pressed to hers.

She was too stunned to reply. Azalea had always lived by one rule. No attachments. It was the only way to stay sane as the voice in her head dictated much of her life; where to go and even who to talk to on occasion. She couldn't risk love.

Without warning, he kissed her again.

***

Her chest ached at the memory. It was the first time she had ever been happy. Life was fine as it was before because she didn't know any better than the mundane day to day. Now, it was sometimes unbearable. In a way she wished she never knew what happiness felt like. At least then, everything wouldn't hurt like it did.

One rule.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah." Azalea tucked the coin away and followed Cayce into the evening.