[8] Detective Alway

Uncle Frank parks his car in his assigned spot. I guess here he's some sort of VIP member. He's already out of the car and walking. I'm stuck in the passenger seat with my hand frozen on the handle. Am I getting second thoughts? Do I want to do this? No, I have to. I'm going to. I can't stay quiet about what happened to me.

"Addy, you coming?" He shouts as he waves me over.

I take in a deep breath and open the door, jumping out and jogging over to him. "Sorry I was sending a text to Tyler."

"Well, come on. I don't have all day. I need to get back on that case ASAP." Uncle Frank holds the door open and I mumble a 'thank you' as I step inside. There's a weird vibe here. Voices drop and eyes narrow away as we walk through the police station. All the officers ignoring me, except one: Office Grants. My biggest fan.

I wave and whisper, "Hi, Officer Grants."

His stare turns cold. "Addy. You here to dump my new car in the lake again?"

I look away and duck my head. Easy to say he's still pissed about that. I'm not welcomed here, obviously, and I wonder if Uncle Frank knows it, too. I follow him down a long hallway to his office at the end. He pushes the door open and lets me in first. Nothing's changed in here except for some new wall art and family pictures. I recognize the art style. Aunt Stella and their twin sons. I sit in the worn-out red leather chair in front of his desk. Always neat and organized. "I don't think Officer Grants likes me that much," I joke as Uncle Frank sits down.

He rolls his eyes and tells me, "Well, why would he, Addy? Last year you drove his Porsche into the lake. He's still paying off car payments."

"Right. Good times."

"The best of times, the worst of times. Like that time back in March when you replaced the jelly in the donuts with baby powder."

The memory of the officers coughing up baby powder makes me snicker and I cover it up by clearing my throat. I cross my arms and lean back, annoyed. "Okay. I get it. I've made mistakes before. Do you have to remind me?"

"I thought we were reminiscing over good times, Addy." Uncle Frank's teasing smile fades into a serious frown. "Before we start, I have to ask. Why haven't you been in school?"

My eyes widen. "What? How do you know about that?"

Uncle Frank laughs. "Are you serious, Addy? Your school calls me anytime something happens. Bad grades. Skipping class. Passing out in the middle of lunch. What was that about, anyway? Huh?"

"I just forgot to eat something," I defend, my tone harsh and cruel. "Low blood sugar or something."

He leans in and says, "Ads, I'm not attacking you. I'm not trying to get you mad or anything. I'm only asking because I have to. Are you starving yourself again?"

I shake my head fast. "No! No! It's not that. I-I was going to eat lunch, but... I've had a rough week."

"Haven't we all?" Uncle Frank opens to a blank page on his notepad and clicks his pen. "So, what do you need Detective Alway for? Some kid giving you trouble at school?"

"You could say that. Umm..." I look around the room and begin to panic, taking deep breaths to steady myself. I can do this. "I-I need to file a report."

He carefully sets his pen down and holds his hands together. "Addy, come on. Every time you come here to report something I'm stuck with some bullshit story."

"It's not bullshit!"

"Language," He warns, pointing a stern finger at me.

"But you just said it."