[36] Happy Birthday

Four Days Later

November twentieth, my second favorite day of the year, after June fourth. Today my twin and I turn eighteen. Tiana and Douglas are throwing a party at our house with Uncle Frank, Aunt Stella, and the twins. Dad was invited, but surprise! He didn't show. "Do we have to wear the party hats?"

"Of course you do, Addy," Aunt Stella says as she throws it back at me. "That's the rule of birthdays. Birthday boy and girl wear party hats."

I gesture to Douglas and Tiana. "Why don't they have to wear them?"

"Because it's not our birthday," They answer in sync, offering each other a fist bump.

"They're so itchy," Tyler whines, and as our aunt glares at us, we obey and put the hats on. "But it's just one day. It's not like it's gonna kill us, right?"

Uncle Frank sets two bags in front of us. "Here, children. Distract yourself with birthday gifts."

"Why didn't you start with that?" I joke, pulling the bag towards me as I start taking out a mountain-full of tissue paper. "I hope this isn't a gag gift."

"Carter and Carson helped," Aunt Stella explains with a chuckle.

Tyler reaches across the table and rubs the twins' head. "Of course, they helped. They're big boys now. Thanks, awesome dudes."

The twins scream and take off running towards the living room.

Tyler and I share a look and laugh. "Remind you of anyone?" He asks.

Aunt Stella holds her phone steady as she aims the camera at us. "Any time now."

"I'm getting there, or trying to, at least." Once I reach the bottom of the bag, I pull out a long wooden box with a picture of two ducks on the front. I turn the switch and carefully lift the lid. My eyes widen. There's rows of beautiful colorful paints and silver and gold brushes. As I grab one of the brushes, I notice my name's engraved on all the handles. "Woah! Where did you get this? I've never seen this paint before."

"That's because I had it shipped in from Paris!" Aunt Stella cheers as a big smile grows on my face. "I have a cousin who lives there and she was able to make this for me. The paint and brushes are all homemade, all original. All you."

I jump up and run around the table to hug her. "Thank you," I whisper in her ear, fighting back tears.

Aunt Stella kisses my forehead. "You're welcome. Happy birthday. I love you so much, Addy."

"I love you, too."

"Woah, awesome!" Tyler shouts, eyes wide as he starts digging through the gift bag. "No way! No way this is real." He holds a football—signed by his favorite player, Ryan Tannehill—and tugs on a Miami Dolphins jersey. "Babe, look! My name's on the back!" He turns around and shows us: T. Alway.

Tiana smiles. "So cool, babe!" She leans over and whispers, "Dammit. I got him a jersey, too."

I roll my eyes.

"Thanks, Uncle Frank!" Tyler runs over and hugs him. "No one knows me better than you do." A frown falls on his face and I know he's thinking about Dad.

"I remember how much you like that team," Uncle Frank tells him as he pats his back. "It was either that or socks."

Tyler grabs the football and throws it to Douglas. "Come on! Who's playing catch with me?"

"I'm not good with sports," Douglas admits, carefully tossing the ball back to my brother. "But I'll be the referee or something."

"We have to finish presents first," Aunt Stella says as she grabs the back of Tyler's jersey and drags him back in the kitchen. "Then everyone can go outside and play and get dirty."