A Moment of Truth

For once, as Jaide stood out on the balcony with the cool breeze tousling through the ripples of curls of her hair, she never admired the night city views until now. She thought beyond the hunger of her stomach of how it might be her last time smelling the night air and watching the city.

Hearing him before he appeared, Jaide swirled around on her heels in enough time to see Carrigan slowly emerge from the room. He was dressed down in a nice two piece suit with a dark red tie made of red velvet and matching red cufflinks. His lips twitched into a smile and color filled his pale cheeks.

"You look so amazing, bathing in the moonlight like that," he complimented her. Jaide smiled against her will as he now briefly bowed before her. Carrigan then extended his hand out to her but she didn't take it. "Is everything alright?"

"Is this going to be our last wine and dinner together?" she asked him.

He held her eyes in his and truthfully answered, saying, "Never. You'll be mine for eternity, Jaide."

Flattered, she scoffed and then laughed in her throat. "And how will I be if I could die from childbirth?" she doubted and then sighed.

"Let's not think about that right now. If you were to die this time, at least you'll come back," he conceded. "Now, shall we?" he extended his hand out to her again. Jaide's lips were tight as she took his hand and then walked back inside the penthouse again.

Carrigan had a woman to feed on. He watched from the other side of the 8ft long table as she was civilized. Jaide didn't bite into the woman's flesh and slaughter her. She took a fine knife from the table and then slit a wide cut along the woman's wrist. The blood drained into the wine glass.

Jaide released her wrist with a loud thud onto the table. Her eyes were fixed on Carrigan as she now took a sip from the glass.

"Interesting," he murmured. "That was very civilized."

"Well if I'm going to be here for a while and it is dinner time? I might as well be civilized," she said with emphasis. Carrigan gently chuckled and then began eating from his plate of fresh caught, raw Bison.

They peacefully ate dinner together. Jaide couldn't help but to ask one question. 

Clearing her throat, she asked him, "So we'll be co-parenting?"

Carrigan's brows were pressed together and he looked in confusion. He didn't know how to answer her. "What's co-parenting?"

"Well it's when two custodial parents share the responsibilities over a child they have together. Like, she could be with you for a short period of time and then she could be with me?"

"She? The heir of Hell is a she?" he raised his brows in question. Jaide grinned from ear to ear and shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know."

"Isn't there a way that humans can see the gender of the baby?"

"There is but this is going to be my first child and I want it to be a surprise. Onto another question. Will I have any support or compensation from this ordeal?"

"Why do you ask so many questions like this?"

"You're taking a child away from me. I need something for my pain and suffering."

"Okay. You can have the penthouse and luxury vehicles with a personal guard from Hell at your disposal," he offered. Carrigan could tell that she wasn't impressed. He sighed. He really needed Noelle for advice.

He knew that human women liked to have a good time with him and spend money. That's it. Carrigan relaxed when the offer came to him like a light bulb. Jaide would need money for her pain and suffering.

"So it's money you want?"

"Yes. A lump of it," she grinned.

"How does 10 ecrypeons sound?"

"What the hell is ecrypeons?"

"It's Hell's form of money. 10 ecrypeons equals to 20 million," he explained.

Thinking, Jaide's lower lip sticks out. 20 million sounds like a lot but its worth it and she could be set for a lifetime.

"I love it,"

Once they finished eating, Carrigan and Jaide went into the living room and sat by the fireplace. They decided to finish the rest of the bottle of red blend wine as they made themselves comfortable on the carpet floor.

"Most women wouldn't grant me this much intimacy. So I thank you, Jaide. And in token of my affections for you, I present to you this gift," he said. She watched him and waited.

Carrigan retrieved a big and flat squared box from behind him with a red bow on top of it. She didn't see it anywhere in sight earlier. Jaide had placed the glass on the side of her as he gathered his words to say.

"You make me breathless when I'm with you, but my nights are filled with torment without you," Carrigan began. "I'll always love you for an eternity and many more million years after. Can you please accept my gifts as a token of my love?"

He opened the box to reveal a jewelry set of ruby red diamonds in platinum silver with 24 karats made in a necklace with matching earrings and a tennis bracelet.  The jewels sparkled in the dimly lit living room.

Jaide was speechless,  and nearly crying. She turned her back to him so that he could first place the necklace around her neck.  When she turned to face him again, Carrigan caressed the flat of her hand with his lips before placing the bracelet around her wrist. He then watched when Jaide put the earrings on.

"How do I look?" she asked him.

"Mystical and beautiful," he said.

Smiling from ear to ear, Jaide leaned forward and then hugged him. "Thank you so much. I don't think no one has ever given me jewelry for gifts," she confessed. Jaide pulled away wiping under one of her eyes as Carrigan gently swiped his finger under the other one. Her face was tear free when the two of them were finished.

"I'm ready to return to Hell with you and get this over with," she admitted now with a smile. Jaide smoothed the hair from over her face as she waited for his response.

Carrigan gently cleared his throat before saying, "Jaide, listen. You're about to give birth to a celestial baby or entity. However the case may be, it could take your life just to bring it in the world."

She slowly looked away, realizing his words before returning her gaze to him. "Well it's what I agreed to. I'm already halfway undead. Maybe that's what it takes to become immortal," she reassured him, still keeping a smile on her face.

Jaide then leaned forward and rested his face between her hands. "Everything will be alright. I'll be fine. Don't be going soft on me now," she gently patted him on the cheek when he assumed she'd kiss him.