o n e

I've always thought wearing high heels to work made someone look weak. 

Flats are infinitely more comfortable, not to mention much safer to walk in without constant fear of sprained ankles or broken toes. This led me to believe that most women wear heels so that they could stand next to the men of their office or workplace without feeling small. As if "growing" three inches could do anything to compensate the differences in height between them and the majority of the male species. Either that or they were trying to make their ass look bigger.

As one of a small handful of women in a field dominated by men, I understand the awkwardness of trying to have a conversation with a coworker as he towers over you. I've witnessed more times than I can count the apparent power trip of those skyscraping jerks as they tower over shorter women. Even so, I've long since learned to be comfortable with my height. Being small could give a person certain advantages if they knew how to utilize them. We are often underestimated and looked over, both literally and figuratively. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) It's an edge that I've taken advantage of many times in my line of work. It even saved my life once. Using shoes to make myself taller almost seemed like a disservice to that fact. Besides, you don't need shoes to make yourself feel tall, it's all in how you carry and present yourself.

Still, as I walked down the long shiny corridors of my office building I couldn't help but feel like a complete and utter hypocrite as I listened to the begrudgingly satisfying click of my heels, gifted to me for my most recent birthday. The clean sounds of my fast strut against the marble floors somehow made it impossible to not exude confidence, as if they were informing everyone around to watch out, a girl who won't take any of your bullshit is heading your way. I could hear my mom in the back of my head throwing out some god awful pun like "confidence starts within your sole" to which my dad would respond to her with something annoyingly blunt but true like "they're just shoes Martha, it's not that deep". 

The motion sensor doors flew open in front of me as I made my way into the hanger, walking up the ramp of the jet. I quickly scanned the area, my eyes finding the man I was looking for. He was spinning around lazily in the revolving pilot's chair, wearing a maroon quarter-zip that was probably worth more than my monthly rent. 

"Hey boss, welcome back."

He stood up from the chair, heading over to where I stood at the entrance of the jet. I hadn't been working for Mr. Stark very long. I had only been at the company he funded for two months now but he had been informal with me since day one. This was why when he stood by my side wrapping an arm over my shoulders I tensed, still not used to how casual he was, but wasn't the least bit surprised. Working for him has been absolutely nothing like my past employers, all serious and stuffy political leaders and government or military agents. Tony was sarcastic and light-hearted. He reminds me of the illusive fun uncle that everyone collectively agrees exists without ever actually having met one.

"It's good to be home." He replied, squeezing my arm and pulling me into his side. I stood there stiffly not sure what to do next while he smiled at me. "Although technically I'm not the boss, he is." 

He pointed in the direction of a man who was squatting on the ground, putting away some kind of equipment that I couldn't make out behind his large frame. At Tony's comment he had turned his head to look at us over his shoulder. He stared at me blankly, his eyes traveling from my feet, up my legs and to my face until his eyes met mine and they hardened slightly. I stared back unblinkingly, my levels of discomfort already growing quickly in the pit of my stomach. After a moment he switched his gaze to the man still glued to my side, giving him a questioning look.  

"Oh that's right, I forgot you two haven't met yet." Tony said, eyes widening in realization. "(Y/n) this is Steve, Steve meet (Y/n)."

He stood up slowly and walked over to us as Tony continued the introductions. "She's the new Global Security Manager I was telling you about."