Ch. 2 Haunted

***Medusa***

Haunted. That's exactly what I was. I guess it's time I admit it. These night terrors and dreams are getting so much more vivid. And Becks, poor Becks, he's taking a beating almost nightly now. Maybe it's time I talked to Ember? Maybe she can help me..maybe even heal me? If not, Maybe A.K or Morrigan can. I'm sure they could handle a good old fashioned exorcism if needed.

Taking a much needed deep breath, I make my way out of the cabin Becks and I share. Annie had it built for us awhile back. It's perfect. I solemnly make my way towards the Inn.

Asylum has only flourished in the months since we took Zlo down. Opening a portal to Fae also had it's benefits. So many races have gone home and many others choose to live here in Asylum itself.

I soak up all the beauty around me as I walk past the lake heading in to town. As usual, Makayla is bringing "Auntie Z" flowers. That kid is something else. While we sugar coated all that Zlo had done, Makayla was just awe struck by her, always bringing her flowers and arguing even somebody who's done bad can still be good. Ceann supports her cause, but even Annie knows there is likely no saving Zlo. Her soul is black as coal.

I smile and offer Kayla a wave as I pass. She runs to catch up with me, wrapping me in a warm hug.

"Morning Auntie Dusa!" She chirps.

"Mornin' Kayla. And what's one of my most favoritest people ever doing way out here this early?"

"I was just bringing Auntie Z some flowers." She smiles as she falls into step next to me.

"Well, that is just wonderful. I bet she loves all the presents your bring her." I smile back.

Makayla looks lost for a second. Her eyes quickly clear. "Yup! I hope she does. I don't want her to feel alone. Nobody deserves to be alone or forgotten."

My heart swells at her kindness. Kyrie was such a great mother. But I also knew Makayla felt a little left out too. Being the surprise triplet, she saw how close her siblings were with each other and often felt she was like a third wheel.
Maybe that's why she's so keen on visiting Zlo. Maybe on some level, she feels she can relate.
I must've had a cheesy smile on my face because she beamed up at me.

"What?" She asked innocently.

I reach over and mess up her wild curls. "Nothing kiddo. I was just thinking I'm one of the luckiest Aunties ever to have a niece with a heart as beautiful as yours." I finish with a boop on her nose, causing her contagious smile to broaden.

We walked the last stretch to the Inn talking about all the wonders that drifted through Makayla's mind. Ah, the mind of a child, it's both intriguing and terrifying! I can't help but admire that daring adventure that resided in hers eyes when she tells me her hopes and dreams. And we'll chase them all together as the family we've become as long as there was breathe in my body.

As we parted at the Inn, it kinda hit me. We are family. And she's the closest to having a child as I'll ever get. All thanks to a fued between two pathetic gods. I never understood why I was cursed when I was the victim. It never sat right with me. I gently shook the thought away as I walked through the Inn door. There was no longer any space in my heart for those memories. That pain.

At that moment, I saw them. My favorite people, my family. Those that have given me more than I'll ever be able to give them. Annie, Ember, Skoll,Eidon, Kyrie, Lina, Phee and even a disgruntled looking Fred were crowded around a table as the ever incorrigible Rue flamboyantly laid plates of food in front of them. I watched his face contort in disdain as they each elbowed and laughed, fighting over his offerings.