Ch.5 Acropolis

***Medusa***

I had made impressive time. The closer I got to Acropolis, the more I felt like I was doing the right thing. Years of wandering had showed me many things so before I knew it, I stood on an all familiar beach. The waves of the surf lapped at my ankles and I couldn't help but feel defiled all over again. I don't know if I could ever enjoy the peace a beach brings ever again. I remember nights when the heat was so great, I'd strip down to my undergarments and bath in the cold sea waters. It felt exhilarating back then. Back when I was innocent to both the ways of the world and men.

I stared up at the mighty columns of the Parthenon. The moon was high tonight, illuminating the Temple and chasing away much of the shadows. I felt myself avoiding the stairs. But I needed to look upon them. This was were my innocence was stolen. Was used as nothing but a pawn to invoke Athena's wrath. And yet, instead of that wrath being focused on the monster that robbed me, I felt it. I wore it's burden. I was the victim and I was punished.

But jokes on Athena as my family has made me realize I'm far stronger than I thought I was. And these faults, the monster she turned me into, well, she's here now. The thing that goes bump in the night is me. And I am hell bent on revenge.

I forced myself forward. It felt like a win as I made myself take the first step up onto the stone steps. With each step there after, my rage intensified. I will use all the love and strength bestowed upon me as my armor. I will slay this demon who had me convoluted into seeing her as a goddess. I gave her everything and in the end, she damned me.

As I drew closer to the very spot of my shame, I felt my confidence waiver slightly. I averted my eyes as tears flooded them and threatened my resolve. With a deep breath, I pushed forward. Step by step, I braved through it until I was now standing at the threshold of Her Lady's Temple. Flashbacks flooded my mind. I pushed them aside. I remember all to well how I had crept and snuck to reach this very door as I just knew it meant freedom. My hand trembled as I reached up and placed my hand against the worn handle.

"Dusa!" A familiar voice echoed.

I spun to see Becks taking the stone steps two at a time. Ember, Skoll and Amina remained at their base. Their faces solemn but hopeful.

"What are you doing here Becks?" I said much more harshly than I had intended.

"That's a good fucking question. I could ask you the same." He said as he reached me.

"I NEED to do this Becks." I gritted. "There is no talking me out of this."

He scrutinized my face. "Fine."

"Fine?" I was puzzled.

"Yeah, fine. If you need to do this, fine. But I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying right here by your side. And so are they." He motioned to my friends below.

"Becks ..."

"No. No Dusa. We've come so far because of the friends and family that we've collected. We've faced incredible odds and began a life together. Don't you dare ask me to stop now." He growled.

He...he was right. These are some of the people that made me....Me. But I couldn't stand to think about losing them. But gazing down at their loving, stubborn faces, with their jaws squared and heads held high...
Well I knew arguing was pointless. There was no turning them back now. I shouldn't have left that note. But then again, maybe I did because some part of me knew it would come to this. My strength lies with them and maybe, just maybe the smarter part of me knew they'd come. And I wanted that.