Ch.7 Eye On The Prize

***Medusa***

The second the words left my lips I knew it was true. Poseidon must fall. And come hell or high water, it would be by my hand. The room was quiet and ominous.

"You know what? I've stood aside long enough. My father refuses to do anything and I'm tired of being stuck in the middle of all the chaos myself. You have my sword." Athena confessed.

"And mine." Ares added.

We all turned to look at him.

"What? He's a prick. I've never liked him. And I'm tired of him pushing my bff around." He winked at Athena who smiled brightly. "And anything that gets her up and living again. Well that's a cause I'll fund. But we're gonna need some help." He continued.

"Yeah..." Athena trailed, studying my gang again. "A royal shifter, a dragon Lord and young goddess won't be enough."

"Hey!" Ember shouted. "I may be young, but I've got power. And Amina, well she's a badass in her own right. And as for Skoll..." She turned and looked him in the eye. "What does she mean when she refers to you as a Dragon Lord?"

He shifted his eyes away. "A discussion for another time." Was all he mumbled. Ember continued to glare at him.

"Your powerful yes." Ares butted in. "But Poseidon will be a real challenge. We're gonna need more."

"I have other powerful friends. I'd hate to drag them into this, but I will ask if it's needed." I mused.

"What about Hades?" Aries suggested.

"Hades?" Athena and I both parroted back.

"Yeah. Hades wasn't exactly thrilled about being tricked into ruling the underworld. I personally think he's a lucky bastard, but rumor has it, he hates it with a passion." Ares finished.

Athena contemplated for a moment. "Ya know, it never hurts to ask." She finally replied. "But as an old God, you know he will want something in return. Something worthy of him. What could we possibly offer him?"

Aries psshted. "Seriously? That's easy. Hades wants out of the underworld. Offer him Poseidon's throne and Kingdom for his assistance. I bet he'd jump on it!"

"Hmmm. That is a thought." Athena said. "But then who would run the underworld? Death has his limits. "
Aries smiled broadly and open his arms indicating himself.

"You?" Athena laughed. "You want to rule The Underworld?!"

"Who wouldn't? An entire realm to rule as I see fit?!? I could use the souls of the forgotten to practice my strategies instead of animated clay figures! I'd be in command for all eternity. And I am more than capable of administering punishment." His smile reached his eyes and they gleamed mischievously.

"Hmmm." Athena pursed her lips fighting a smile. "That might just do the trick..."

"Agreed." Ares smiled impossibly wider.

"So it's settled. Rally whomever you wish and meet us back here in three days time. That'll give us enough time to speak with Hades and any others willing to take aid in Poseidon's downfall. I can hit the gym and shape up as well." Athena said enthusiastically while clapping her hands together.

I looked to my friends for confirmation. Subtle nods let me know it was a go.

"Alrighty. See you in three days." Medusa shook Athena's hand.

Athena and Aries shimmered from existence. Ember called forth a door and we were back in Asylum seconds later. Now to put together my crew.

***Makayla***

"It's kinda crazy right now." I said as I stared up at Auntie Zlo's stone face.

"Because Aunt Dusa is slaying demons band everyone wants to help her."

"Well, yeah, kinda. I could be an asset. I'm not totally weak and useless you know."

"Yeah! I bet you would be amazing in the battle! I heard you were crazy powerful!"

"I can't Auntie Zlo. We've been through this. I don't know when Aunt Annie will let you out. Nobody will tell me exactly what you did, but it must've been really bad for them to lock you up like this."

"No, I don't think your a bad person! I'm sure you just made bad decisions! Do you think I'd spend hours everyday out here in the sun talking to you if I thought you were bad?"

"I know. But hey, can I ask you something?"

"Okay. So I have my wolf in my head. But I also have my dingo. They are usually sweet and agree on most things. But I have this other....voice. She...well she scares me Auntie."

"Just the things she says and tries to do. She's almost took me over a few times. And when she does try it hurts. Like I'm on fire inside. I...I'm scared she's evil."

"I promise not to listen to her. But what I was hoping was that maybe you might know how to make her go away?"

"Makayla!" Kyrie's voice rang out from the field behind her.

"Yes mother?" I quickly reply.

"Come on kiddo. We're packing up. It's time to head back to the pack."

I turn and look up at my Auntie's statue again. "I gotta go for now. I promise to be good and come back and see you again as soon as I can. I love you Auntie Zlo."

And with that, I turn and run to meet my mom. Maybe a trip home will help ease my poor mind.

***Zlo***

I watch helplessly as my only friend fades into the distance. In such a short time, that little girl has stolen every piece of my heart. She's kind, confident and smart. Everything I wished I could be.

She's told me all about her life, asked for my advice and loved me even when I honestly didn't deserve it.

Seeing things from this perspective has really changed my thought process. I've come to realize that I was so wrong about Asylum. I was so wrong about the magical beings that inhabit it and the realm of men. I was so wrong in general and now there's nothing I can do to right the many wrongs I've committed.

Makayla has taught me I was loved. I didn't need to demand it or push for it. It was always there. Annie could've killed me when we all faced off. She could've, and I know she would've if she thought that was what was best. But her love saved me. And her friends and family's love saved her. She didn't have to ask or beg for it either. Love shouldn't be forced. It should be nutured, not coveted and obsessed over.

Makayla has told me all about Ember, the Phenix, her Mate the Dragon, Her parents, The goddess Morrigan, The Fourth seer A.K and even of Medusa and her mate Becks. At first, I hated hearing about them. Especially Medusa, who put me on this confine. But Makayla was all I had as far as someone to talk to and it's not like I was flooded with amazing topics so I listened.

And something insane happened. I found myself immersed in her stories. In the people who surrounded her. She was enveloped in love. In family. And I had zero doubts they'd fight to the death for her or her siblings. But what surprised me most was the fondness that she sparked in me for them. They weren't the villains my mind had painted them to be. I fought it at first, but the softness the blossomed in me soon won.

But Makayla was different. She was special. I could feel it. Usually in an interspecies shifter coupling involving a dingo, twins are always produced. One of each species. But Kyrie had triplets. It was unheard of. And Kayla telling me about this third voice in her head has me terrified. This isn't the first time she's mentioned it to me.

Annie comes and sits with me often, offering snippets of conversation here and there and try as I might I can't communicate with her like I can Kayla. I can't tell her Kayla needs help.
This stone prison has become heavier knowing that Kayla is in danger and I can't tell a soul about it.

Be strong Kayla. Auntie Zlo will figure out how to help you. Even if I have to fight my way out of this cold, hard stone to do it.