Ch.8 Aces and 8s...

*** Hades***

It was all sooo...mundane. Always the same old thing is the underworld. Torture, maim, mischief and I was fucking OVER IT. Zues didn't even bother to lube up or apologize after he bent me over and crowned me the Prince of Darkness. I was rode hard and dry.

I couldn't exactly formulate true enough how much I HATED my brother. Nobody ushered the amount of vile, putrid loathing from me as he did. Well, maybe Posiedon. He might fall into the same category, but Zues took the cake by far. I hated the underworld. The darkness, the screams, the constant state of depression. It sucked my soul dry, and not in the good way. My only solice the rare occasion I can sneak away and truly relax.

I was surprised Death invited me to his fabled Poker night. He was said to be very particular about his guests. I wonder what I could've done to earn his social graciousness. I laughed silently to myself. Maybe he heard just how good I was with a deck of cards.

I glanced around the smoke filled room. Hookas sat at every table and patrons from all realms and walks of life circled them partaking in the festivities. I cut my eyes to the left when I heard the most obnoxious, grating voice cashing in for chips.

'Yuppie.'

That's exactly what came to mind when I examined the new player. I wasn't sure if it was a her or a him, but I was willing to wager they definitely were no card shark. From the neon green hair to the tight-as-spandex pants to the painted toes hanging out of six inch heeled boots.... This poor bastard had yuppie wrote all over em.

I watched Death make his way to the table and greet the newcomer. I dropped my eyes but listened intently.

"Ru! You made it! Welcome to the most competitive night of your life bud." Death greeted them with a downright friendly tone.

"Honestly, I was just here to smoke a bit and calm my nerves, but this looks fun!" Ru replied.

"You sure you want in? Stakes can run a little...high..." Death drawled.

Ru laugh haughtily. "Highhhhh is exactly what I need right now." He chirped before grabbing a pipe and taking a particularly hard toke of the hooka on their table.

"That rough huh? Morrigan made it out like Asylum was a paradise." Death continued.

"Oh honey it is. But it needs more structure! More discipline. I've been trying to run the Inns and those vile little brownies keep undermining me at every turn. If I had the authority...if I was in charge...there'd be a hell of a lot changed." Ru spoke as he held his breath before releasing a cloud of marijuana scented smoke.

Death just laughed. "I'm sure. Listen, be careful here tonight. Don't make wagers you can't afford got it?"

Ru nodded hurriedly as he brought the pipe back up to his lips.

Hmmm. A newbie. Who wanted power. How ... interesting....

The night progressed. Death had us set up tournament style. Several tables with players vying for riches and more. As time marched on, I kept my eye on the yuppie. He was indeed a newbie, but a quick learner. He won more than he lost and as the last few hands of the night we being dealt I found him sitting across from me.

"Hey." I offered him a curt smile as he drew his chair to the table.

"Hey yourself." He quickly replied, shooting me a wink.

I was comfortable enough in my masculinity to not be offended. It actually made me chuckle that he was so brazen. He struck me as somebody who didn't give two fucks what anybody thought of him or his actions and that garnered respect from me. As the games progressed we talked.