Ch. 9 Trouble

***Ember***

I watched as Skoll paced the small area in front of our bed. His body was tense and his eyes dark.

"Skoll..." I whispered, drawing his attention. "What's happened to us?"

His brooding eyes harbored all the secrets yet his lips didn't move. "What do you mean?" He quipped.

"That! That right there. Why do you speak to me so gruffly?" I demanded as I crossed my arms across my chest.

He eyed me a moment more before he let out a breath. "I'm sorry, I am just...I don't know..." He trailed.

"You don't know?" I asked incredulously.

"No, I don't okay! I'm frustrated."

"About what?" I pushed.

He eyed me again, his face a mask.

"Just tell me!" I snapped.

"Fine. You. I'm frustrated with you!" He huffed as he moved to sit next to me on the foot of our bed.

I was taken aback. Why would he be frustrated with me? What had I done?

"What have I done to offend you so?" I asked softly.

"Nothing. Everything. Ugh." He sighed as he brought his hands up to his hair and scrunched it.

I was so tired of this tension. I fought hard to scour my memories to find what I could've done to upset him this deeply. I didn't know what to say so I gently reached out and placed my hand on his shoulder. He flinched, and that broke my heart so I dropped it to my lap instead.

"Skoll, please. I want to fix this but I need to know what's wrong to do that." I begged.

His eyes burned into mine instantly. There were so many emotions swirling through them that I became lost in the ferocity of them. He searched my very soul and I willing bore it for his inspection. His gaze fell and he inhaled deeply.

"I don't know how to explain any of this to you without sounding like a total....ass." he whispered.

"Try. Please?" I begged.

He inhaled a few more deep breaths.

"Okay. As you know I lost you and that darkened my world like you would never understand. But by some miraculous change of fate, you were brought back to me. You have no idea how that affected me. How it still affects me. We went through so much so quickly and I had to face losing you all over again. These last few months have been a whirlwind for me. Everytime things calm down we are drawn into yet another endeavor. We're off to save someone or something else. You are not as I remember you Deja. My Mo'Gra was my soul mate. We spent hours upon hours coveting our love. We adventured, we waged war and we made..." He trailed.

"Made what?" I implored.

He turned those scarlet eyes back on me and a shiver went down my spine. "We made...Love Ember. We connected in all the ways lovers do."

I sat and pondered his words. Made love ... Is he angry because...

"Is lack of a sex life spurring this all on? Because you said you wouldn't push and would wait til I was ready!" I hissed.

"Yes. Wait! No! Yes and No!" He struggled to answer me.

I eyed him coldly. Id heard of men having needs, but to act this way instead of having a rational discussion was ludicrous.

"Ember. It's not lack of sex...entirely. I will admit I do crave the intimacy we once shared, but it's more than that. I am centuries old and I am constantly triapsed around on your grand adventures. When are WE going to reconnect? When are WE going to find ourselves again?" He spoke softly.

"I don't understand. Are you upset I ask you to come along when we do our duties?"

"No." He exhaled loudly. "Ember listen, I am a dragon. It is in my nature to covet what is mine. I have always struggled with sharing you with the world. But you always had this way about you. This way of reminding me I was important, wanted. Loved. It does not feel the same this time around. I feel as though I am just your friend. Your bed warmer in it's most basic sense." He confessed.

"I don't remember kissing my friends..." I retorted.

He turned and took my hand in his. "Good, because I'd be forced to disembowel them before you."

I looked at him as if he had three heads.

"Skoll, I'm not good at this stuff. I don't want to lose you. But I don't understand what you are saying or asking of me. Please...simplify it for me. Tell me how to make it better."

He studied my face intently. I felt a foreign feeling bubbling in my chest. It wasn't fear in the normal sense. This was worse. Downright terrifying. Was I losing my dragon?

"Ember, I need you to put some more energy into us. JUST US. I need to feel that connection again. I need to feel like I did before. I need to know you want me. Want me as badly and as desperately as I want you . Reignite that fire in me that only you can."

I let his words roll around in my head. So he was feeling neglected? Unwanted? How had I let this happen? Of course I wanted him! I thought I was showing him that in every way I knew how. He said it wasn't a lack of a sex life entirely. Entirely...that meant it was a portion. Was I ready to give my body over to him? We hadn't really had a chance to discuss it much but he knew the basics. I am a virgin..well, in this lifetime. And I am naive in the ways of making love. And what about his other concerns? Was I really always dragging him off on some crazy agenda? Was he feeling used? Neglected?

" I won't lie and tell you I know how to do what your asking me to do Skoll." I sighed. "But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try. Please. Just talk to me about things. Explain to me what is wrong and how to fix it because I have zero experience in all this. I may have many of Deja's memories, but I lack alot of her skills. I have a lot to learn I'm the grand scheme of things." I offered him a smile.

He studied my face intently before he leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. It was instant electricity. His lips moved against mine so delicately I soon felt swoony.

Before he or I could utter another word a knock at the door interrupted our moment.

I begrudgingly separated from him and walked over to open it. There stood Medusa with an ominous, drawn face. "It's time." Was all she said but I knew exactly what she meant.

I turned to look at Skoll, silently asking if he was up for this. But I found he was already almost at my back. I felt his warmth spread across my entire backside as he wrapped his arms around my waist and buried his face in my hair. I loved it when he did this and for a second I feared it would be the last time I felt it.

"We'll meet you at the Inn." He replied before he closed the door.

I watched as he quietly gathered his things and made his way back to me at the door.

"If you don't want to..."

"I do. " He cut me off.

He gave me one more intense, undecipherable look before he reached over and opened the door.

"After you..."