The Ultimate Illusion

"Alexander?"

The voice spoke through the darkness, almost singing the name.

Alec couldn't see a thing.

He couldn't move.

Instinct caused him to kick, struggle, get free but reason smacked him into realizing it was hopeless.

Energy was better saved on rational thoughts.

A match was lit in the corner of the room, light splashing against peeling wallpaper.

The match moved, lighting a large candle. The flame grew and the match moved onto the next candle.

The process was repeated over and over again until the person holding the match finally came into view.

Alec didn't focus on him. He focused on the chair he was tied to.

His ankles were bound to the front legs of the chair and his wrists to the armrests. The chair was heavy- too heavy for Alec to stand and swing the back legs around to incapacitate his captor, who still hadn't shown his face.

He and Jace had practiced the technique at home in the New York Institute one boring summer day. They had gone through five wooden chairs, slamming them against the wooden beams of the training room until their mom had come up with all the rage of a Ravener demon and banned them from the training room for a week.

Life had gotten significantly more boring after the punishment began.

Alec almost smiled but something on his captor's shirt had caught his eye. A speck of- glitter.

Alec found his voice. "Oh-"

Magnus had been caught. Magnus was- did he dare think it?

"No," Alec mumbled.

His captor's head turned, just enough for his yellow eyes catching the light.

"Wait- Magnus?" The cat eyes flicked up to look at Alec.

"You're up, dear," Magnus said as if it was just any regular morning. And that was exactly what Magnus said.

But it wasn't him. It couldn't be him.

The way he talked, the way he carried himself- it was almost exactly like Magnus but every part of Alec screamed that it wasn't really him.

"No." Alec shook his head and then he was kicking and struggling again.

"Don't fight," Magnus said. He walked over to Alec, his shoes- Magnus' shoes; the ones with the faux tap heel- clicked against the wooden floor.

"Who are you?" Alec demanded.

"I'm offended," Magnus laughed.

"Who are you?" Alec said, trying to sound more aggressive. Magnus' face only softened and a little smile appeared.

He knelt in front of Alec so he was at eye-level.

Magnus put a single finger on Alec's cheek, sliding it along his jaw bone, gently.

"Don't do that," Alec said, turning away. All of his mannerisms all too familar- all too real. "What do you want?"

"Where are your friends, Alexander?" Magnus asked casually.

"I'm not telling you," Alec said. He had to protect them. Jace. Izzy. Clary.

Magnus looked down and his smile melted.

"I'm hurt," Magnus said. "What did I do?"

"No! You're not Magnus-"

"Test me," Magnus said. "Anything and I'll know the answer."

"I won't-"

"Are you scared you're wrong? Are you scared that you don't know the real me when you see me?"

"I'm not- I know my Magnus and you're not him-"

"And if I am? You're being awfully rude right now. I mean, it's as if you don't really know me. I'm your Magnus."

"Untie me-"

Magnus leaned close, his lips right up against Alec's ear.

"It's too late for any of that, my dear Alexander."

A sharp pain slashed across his face.

He had been cu-- Magnus had cut him!

Alec screamed, and not because of the physical pain; he could handle that. But then he was falling- through the floor, through time, through-

His eyes flew open.

It was dark again. He wrestled away from whatever was holding him down, sitting up.

Something red glowed across the room.

4:25

"No," Alec mumbled, still in a state of confusion.

"Alexander-"

Alec jumped, trying to brace himself.

"Alec!"

He blinked and his eyes started to adjust to the light.

"Alec, calm down," Magnus said. He was pushing himself up to a sitting position.

"No-"

"You're safe," Magnus said.

Alec felt Magnus' cautious touch on his hand.

"You tried to kill me," Alec muttered. Magnus' hand covered Alec's.

"I would never try to kill you," Magnus said. "You know that. It was nightmare-"

"You were possessed or-"

"I'm right here," Magnus said. Alec looked around the room, looking for a sign that this wasn't reality. "Alexander, look at me."

Alec looked back.

Magnus' eyes, the same eyes that had been the mark of a devil just minutes before, were concerned now.

This was reality.

He was safe.

He was fine.

Alec took a deep breath and his head fell against Magnus.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Magnus whispered.

Alec was silent, squeezing his eyes shut.

Magnus wrapped his arms around Alec, holding him tight for awhile.

Exhaustion had filled them both and Magnus laid back down, bringing Alec down with him. He didn't dare let go of his Alexander.

His arms were the only thing holding him together, and they both knew it.