When in Egypt. . .

"--and, and, and did you know that the kids didn't have to wear any clothes at all."

Magnus gave Alec an exasperated look.

"I'm going to kill Clary," he growled.

Last week had been Egyptian-themed around the Institute. And Max still hadn't gotten over it.

It seemed like the five-year old was spewing the same fifteen facts on a loop that only ended when he fell asleep.

Max was currently sitting in the biggest armchair in the living, the black leather appearing to devour his tiny blue frame.

Alec and Magnus were curled up on the couch across from him, watching both Max and Tutenstein, a surprisingly entertaining show about a mummy who comes back to live in the present-day. Or 2003.

In the past five days, they had plowed through Seasons 1 and 2. Magnus was more invested in the characters than he cared to admit.

"We have to stop this," Alec sighed. "It was cute at first--"

"--but I'm over it now," Magnus said, quietly. If Max overheard that they were plotting to destroy his Egyptian dreams. . .

"We just have to get him interested in something less annoying."

"Training?" Alec offered. Magnus gave him another exacerbated look.

"What are little boys supposed to like?" Magnus asked. Neither of them had had a particularly normal childhood.

"Trucks?" Alec asked.

"Video games--"

"We should get Simon's advice," Alec decided.

"Can we go to Egypt?" Max chimed in, looking over at them.

"Idea," Magnus whispered. He smiled. "Sure, Max."

His little face lit up, probably in shock.

"Really?"

Magnus shrugged.

"I've never been. So we should go."

"No way!" he cried, jumping off the chair. He immediately jumped on top of Magnus and Alec, giggling.

Five minutes later, his burst of energy left him asleep under the blankets between Magnus and Alec.

Magnus paused Tutenstein.

"Egypt?" Alec asked agitated.

"We're going to overboard him with Egyptian stuff until he can't possibly like it anymore," Magnus said, obviously proud of his plan.

"If this backfires--"

"--then we get him video games and watch him rot his brains out," Magnus said. He awkwardly leaned forward to kiss Alec's head.

They were both going to regret sleeping on the couch in the morning but they were too tired to move.

Alec whispered into the darkness of the apartment, "Hey, Magnus."

"Mmm?"

"Did you know that sailboats were invented in Egypt?"

.............

"You're going to be hot in that," Alec chided.

"It's November, Alexander," Magnus said, continuing to pull his coat on.

Max's squeals could be heard seconds before he came running into their room. Alec caught him as Max jumped up into his arms.

"What are you wearing?" Alec asked, trying not to sound unkind. He looked like a mini-Indiana Jones.