Sick Days

"You should get your flu shot."

"Why are you sitting in a chair on the counter?" Alec asked, staring up at Magnus. He had placed one of the chairs from the formal dining room on the middle of the kitchen island. He sat up there, reading the newspaper, a cup of coffee balanced precariously on the arm of the chair.

"Better lighting," Magnus said.

"Speaking of lighting, why are you reading the mundie paper?" Alec asked.

"'Flu outbreak reaches new levels; CDC experts warn of possible epidemic,'" Magnus said. "I think I'll go get mine today. Will you join me?"

"I don't do needles," Alec said.

"Neither do I," Magnus said, snapping the newspaper shut. "Which is why I'll need your full moral support."

"Why? You want me to hold your hand?"

"I'll buy you Twizzlers," Magnus sang.

Alec smirked.

"I know you like Twizzlers," Magnus said.

"Get off the counter, Magnus Bane."

..........

"I hate this place," Alec said. "Can you even get the flu?"

"Just because I haven't, doesn't mean I won't. You can never be too careful," Magnus said.

They sat in the mini-clinic at the local CVS, waiting for the nurse to come in.

"Have you ever actually been to a doctor?" Magnus asked.

"I don't get sick," Alec said. "So no. Besides, we have the Silent Brothers for that."

There was a knock at the door and Alec jumped.

He almost fainted when he saw the needle not even intended for him.

..........

A half-eaten pack of Twizzlers sat in Alec's lap on the ride home.

"That Hello Kitty band-aid is really cute," Alec said, leaning his head against Magnus' shoulder. He bit into another Twizzler.

"I like it," Magnus said. "I didn't realize you were so scared of needles."

"I'm not," Alec said, squirming slightly.

"That's why you didn't get a flu shot," Magnus realized.

"I don't get sick," Alec insisted. "Get over yourself."

"Gah! Absolutely not!"

Alec hit Magnus on the arm, right where he had gotten the vaccine.

"Ow! Alexander!" Magnus hit Alec back.

"I'm sorry!" Alec said, quickly. Magnus grabbed his arm, protecting it from Alec.

"And stop eating all those Twizzlers!" Magnus snapped. "You're gonna get sick."

One day later...

"Alexander!" Magnus called as he opened the front door. "I brought takeout."

There was no response.

Magnus had gotten a text from Alec, saying he was home.

"Alexander?" Magnus set the bags down on the counter.

Chairman Meow meandered into kitchen.

"Where's Alec?" he demanded of the cat. The Chairman looked up with expecting eyes.

"No," Magnus said, "that's my Chinese food. So leave it alone. I'm going to go find Alec."

Magnus turned out of the kitchen, heading down the hallway.