𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺𝟼 - 𝙺𝚊𝚛𝚕'𝚜 𝙴𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐

pre-chapter note: this is separate from chapter 45 (previous). it takes place directly after the canon events of the manberg vs pogtopia war.

you may or may not want to check your tales from the smp knowledge - there's a good few references.

-----

"Y/n L/n"

"Beloved friend and fighter"

"RIP"

Karl quietly stepped away from the tombstone. His small bouquet of your favorite flowers added to the gifts that rested upon your grave.

He turned to see a dark pair of eyes on him.

"Hey, Alex," Karl said, tone casual but somehow still heavy.

Quackity nodded his head in response. "Karl."

"How are you?"

"Well..." Quackity sighed, breath forming a cloud in the cold air. "I've been better."

Karl gave a half-smile, nodding in agreement. The two stood side by side, hands in their jacket pockets and clothes jostled by the wind.

The silence was interrupted by a sudden, loud ding. Quackity groaned when he checked his pocket for the sound.

"I- I'm sorry, gotta- uh- answer this," he murmured, quickly rushing out of the cemetery. Karl glanced at the leaves that were thrown into disarray by his departure.

He sighed, bowing his head and closing his eyes. When he opened them again-

What the...?

Debris surrounded him on all sides. He would have thought he was in L'manberg if not for the lack of people. It felt... completely empty.

The brown-haired male took a cautious look around, feeling as if any disturbance would cause an avalanche. A faded sign caught his eye, wood chipping off of the fragile thing. He stepped closer to read the letters, squinting every so slightly.

Welcome to the Town that Never Was.

-----

Your eyes flew open with a shock.

Everything was dark. Warm. Burning hot, even.

Your limbs felt as if they had been tied to weights. You struggled to sit up, at last realizing you were no longer in L'manberg.

Your hand touched your face in amazement. Scars coated your body instead of blood and ash. The stained, muddied clothes you had worn were replaced with a fresh set.

A sudden itch clawed at your throat, and you coughed a few times to try and drag it back down.

"Here. It will soothe the ache."

You jolted in your seated position, head turning to see a woman. Her hands were gently clasped around a mug of something steamy.

"Okay, uh, this is not the first time I've woken up in a strange room away from my home, but I'm still slightly terrified." You awkwardly adjusted your position. "So where exactly am I? And who are you?"

The woman let out a musical laugh, corners of her eyes crinkling. "Welcome to the Other Side, Y/n. I'm Kristin. Come with me, please let me explain a bit more."

You gulped slightly and followed her out of the door.

"You can refer to me as Kristin, but most know me as the Goddess of Death. As well as guiding souls to the afterlife, I rule the Other Side, this place. I used to rule alongside my husband Phil, but he- he chose to join the mortal plane."