Chapter Twelve.

By the time Bel had finished telling Kal all what Razania had done to him, Kal was shaking in both anger and sadness.

Beating a child was one thing, noted she also did that, but Razania has forced the boy to fight her. Making sure that Bel was alive by the end of it was hardly a mercy; with such an old and powerful Dragon, Bel would never be able to keep up with her.

Bels mother had him far before meeting Cardan and the man only had a few weeks with her before she was killed. Cardan never truly recovered and took out his despair on Bel. Never hitting him, but instead saying that it was Bels fault his mother was dead.

To say Kal was only angry would be false; he was furious, and was sure that his eyes were showing constantly in the moment.

They could not stay outside for long, what with them leaving so abruptly he was sure someone would come looking for them eventually. So Kal convinced Bel that when they went inside, he was to stay by his side and both of them would act like Kal only calmed his panic attack and knew of nothing more.

Kal was sure that he would not have to worry about Bel, and more so worry that he would attack Razania or Cardan.

Bel allowed Kal to hold his hand, in the same way that Kaida would hold his when walking through a town full of humans.

When Kal opened the door to the house, everybody looked towards them and gave various glances of worry or concern. Except for Razania and Cardan, who had both anxious and irritated looks painted on their faces.

Kal took a seat next to Nazavert and made sure Bel sat directly beside him, thanks to Grennan scooting a seat over at the obvious pair.

There was food out now and thankfully most of the table had returned to eating their fill. Kal hesitantly let go of Bels hand to allow both of them to fill their plates after surveying Razanias face for anything worrisome.

Kal barely ate the small amount of venison and potatoes that he had took; his stomach too busy turning with disgust for Bels false family.

After all that dragons as a whole had gone through, it was utterly disgusting that there could still be those who would take to hurting and abusing young boys in order to release their anger. Kal, for the entirety of the journey with Kaida, only rarely got to perhaps hit a tree or kick a rock.

How dare someone supposed to be wise and proud stoop so low to hit a child.

Nazavert ate as quietly as Kal, taking in the way his mate was sat angrily stabbing at meat with as much hidden rage as he could muster.

The rest of the settlement had easily fallen back into small talk and conversations, the only exceptions being Kal and his clan. Grennan also seemed to notice his demeanor change somehow.

For the feast being focused on the three new dragons, there was not much talking going on between them. Kal was brewing in resent and rarely participated in the different subjects going around the table.

As the night went on, more dragons made their way to leave the house. Meanwhile, Kal was attempting to think of a way to get Beldar out of the house for the evening.

If he could convince either Cardan or Razania that it was both safe and with no alternative motives, perhaps the boy could be safe himself for a moment. That is, until Kal decided whether he wanted to rip their throats out or let them live.

From beside him, Nazavert had rested his hand on his thigh palm up, an offering for Kal which he took after a moment.

It was rare that Kal was this angry. There were times when he was a boy, when he was stressed and anxious and worried for his and Kaidas safety, that he would lash out and do young boyish things like punching a tree or kicking stones. Usually, Kaida brought him back down with either distractions or holding his hand while they walked.