Chapter Twenty-One

Laiorn was flourishing, and Kal was drowning in happiness.

As it turns out, when dragons really want something done, they do it quickly.

It had been two months since Razthen came to Laiorn, Yaren finally putting at least a bit of trust into the man until he could see that he was good. Kal could say that the two were together and madly in love, but in truth, Razthen was still living with Deran and Vardaz.

Yaren and Razthen talked every day as far as Kal saw and the white dragon did end up getting his flight, though it was with Yaren on his back. Still, trust was earned and they were getting along with it perfectly fine.

More dragons came, more and more with sad stories and a yearning for a home that Kal was all too willing to give.

With more dragons, came more houses. It was amazing what over a dozen dragons could get done in the case of building when they were sick of sharing homes with strangers. Even those who were close still wanted peace for either them and their mates or their partners.

Dresath sent as much as they could in way of goods to keep Laiorn steady. A trade was even set up between the elves and dragons so that Kal did not feel as though they were unfairly accepting too much. Kaida was the one who offered to take the packages back and forth, wanting to see the settlement. which was now a town, while also still staying in the castle with Sercia and Regerald.

The marriage of the King of the Elves was announced a month after Kal had visited. It seemed that Sercia was not one to wait and Regerald was a king who could not have flings. Kal attended the wedding and Nazavert almost had the chance to propose if it were not for Kal doing so first.

Kal and Nazaverts wedding was a much smaller affair, taking place in the ever growing village center with their people around them. Still, it was lovely and Kal nearly burst from the happiness welling in his chest. He thought his face might break from the smile he wore; until it morphed into another one when Nazavert and Kal went home as husbands.

Everyone was happy, if not comfortable.

They were safe from the humans for now and there were not any issues to face besides the clearing of forests because of how many houses they were building.

When Daltior and Celeste had the first new baby of Laiorn, a boy named Hannel, Kal cried with them.

Though there was no king for Laiorn. Kal still led them as much as they allowed him to. Issues of crimes such as theft and fighting came to him. Nazavert too if Kal was busy with something else or if he asked his husband for help. New dragons sometimes could not see that is was safe and even occasionally Kal would have to refuse those who came to Laiorn with obvious bad intentions.

Still, it was a good home. A home forged from war and sadness and heartbreak. But a home.

They had lost too much to be perfect, yet Kal still believed this is what made them strong.

For if the day came that humans tried to take them again, Kal would fight teeth and talon for his people. No one would be losing another home anytime soon.