[9.5] WOLF's BANE: act five

-ARGENT HOME-

Necklace in hand, Scott lands on the walkway just in front of the door. He goes for his bike at the curb when--

"Scott?"

Getting out of his parked car just around the corner of the house, Argent throws Scott a friendly smile.

-ARGENT HOME | KITCHEN -

Scott follows Argent into the kitchen.

"She should be back in a few minutes. She sometimes goes for a run after school." Argent informs Scott.

"That's okay, I should go. I've got a game tonight."

"You want something to drink? I'm going to have a beer."

Argent pulls two beers from the fridge. Bewildered, Scott watches him uncap both and slide the second one over.

"You don't need to test me anymore. Your daughter already dumped me."

"No test. And sorry. High school romances. Burn bright. Fade fast." He points at the beer in front of Scott. "Go ahead."

"I'm good, thanks."

"So, i was curious about something, Scott. How do you know Derek Hale?"

They connect eyes. The friendly demeanor is gone. And all Scott can reply with is: "Who?"

- WOODS-

Allison races through the trails, running less for exercise and more with purpose. She slows only when her destination is finally revealed through the trees ahead.

The Hale house.

- HALE HOUSE -

Allison steps inside the dark and lonely structure. She gazes around the charred walls, peers up the stairs. Stepping into the second room, she notices something on the floor.

Kneeling to get a closer look, she finds four deep grooves scratches into the floor.

Spreading her fingers out, she traces the lines, simulating for her own eyes how the grooves might have been scratched in by a human hand. Then she looks up and screams.

Kate stands under the archway.

"Damn, you've got some lungs on you."

"Did you follow me here?" Allison asks.

"Can't blame me for being concerned about my favorite niece, can you? What are you looking for?"

"I don't know. Something, anything."

"You mean answers. To lingering questions. Like..."

"Why would he want to kill us?" Allison mutters.

"Well, look at this place. Imagine if your father and i were trapped in something like this. Might do some interesting things to your head, don't you think?"

"It wouldn't turn me into a psychotic killer." Allison sighs.

"You don't have to be psychotic to be a killer. You just need a reason. And even then..." Kate runs a hand almost lovingly down the charred wall. "Sometimes you can surprise yourself." She glances back at Allison with an unnerving smile. "What do you want, Allison?"

"I want... I want to not be scared. That night in the school, i felt so utterly weak. Like i needed someone to come rescue me. I hate that feeling. I want to feel stronger than that. I want to feel powerful." Allison looks down.

"Allison, if you can give me just a little bit of time, be just a little patient... I think i can give you exactly what you want."

- ARGENT HOME | LIVING ROOM -