[12.5] CODE BREAKER: act five

- HOSPITAL | MORGUE -

Argent yanks Stiles up by his sport coat and slams him against the wall of the morgue. The other two hunters hold a terrified Jackson to the side.

"Let me ask you something, Stiles. Have you ever seen a rabid dog?" Argent asks, his attention on the boy in front of him.

"No, but i'll put it on my to-do-list if you let me go."

"I have. And there's only one thing i've ever been able to compare it to. Seeing a friend of mine turn on the night of a full moon. Do you want to know what happened?"

"Not really, no offense to your storytelling skills." Stiles says sarcastically.

"He tried to kill me and i was forced to shoot him in the head. But even while he lay dying, he was still trying to claw his way toward me. Still trying to kill me like it was the most important thing he could do with his last breath. Can you imagine that?" Argent continues ignoring his remark.

"No, but it sounds like you could be more selective with your friendships."

Argent pulls him closer, about to take his head off.

"Did Scott try to kill you on the last full moon? Or his sister? Did you have to lock him up?"

Stiles glances to Jackson who watches him, waiting for the response as well.

"Yeah, we did. Handcuffed him. Would you prefer we put him in a basement and burn the house down around him?"

Argent gives a knowing smile.

"Sorry to dispel a popular rumor, but we never did that."

"Oh, right. Derek said you had some kind of code. I guess no one ever breaks it."

"Never."

"What if someone did?" Stiles raises his eyebrows.

"Someone like who?"

"Your sister."

Now he's got Argent's attention.

- WOODS -

Scott and Alycia pull Derek out of the mine shaft entrance. With his leather jacket on him now, Derek is still weakened, moving slowly, breathing hard. His hand goes to the marks in his side where the electrode pins were placed. Alycia follows his hand with her eyes, watching as he rubs the open skin.

Just as she opens her mouth to ask him about it, she's interrupted.

"Hold on. Something doesn't feel right." Derek mutters gaining the attention of the two teenagers beside him.

"What do you mean?" Scott asks furrowing his eyebrows.

"I mean something doesn't feel right. Getting out of there was... i don't know. Kind of like it was--"

"Don't say too easy. People say too easy and then bad things happen." But Derek keeps throwing nervous glances to the strangely quiet woods, putting a protective arm in front of Alycia. "You think finding you was easy? Getting away from Allison's dad? None of this has been easy. So if for two seconds something is going right, can we not question it? Can we just shut up and thank God we have the tiniest bit of luck for once?"

"Yeah, okay. You're right."

They start forward again when they hear the sudden sound of something soaring through the air. Derek snaps his head up with a pained gasp.

An arrow sticks through his jacket under his collar bone.

Time seems to slow down as he shoves Alycia away from him, trying to push her out of the line of fire. He warns Scott, who in response takes cover.