[11] FORMALITY: act one

- ABANDONED BASEMENT -

A blue current of electricity snakes through a grid of rusted pipes, twisting up around spliced wires and rippling down to gold-plated needles that pierce the skin of Derek's torso.

His body arcs up, the electrical charge pulling his muscles into painful contractions.

-ALLISON'S CAR -

Pedal to the floor, Allison pushes her car past sixty, driving far too fast down suburban roads. The moment she blinks, she's back in the dimly lit basement, watching Kate dial down the current at a control board. The static buzz fades allowing Derek to collapse back against the restraints. Still transformed, he gasps weakly.

Barely breathing herself, Allison keeps her distance.

"What is he?" She finally asks the question.

"I think you already know the answer to that." Kate says. Allison shakes her head. "Sure you do. Maybe you don't want to say it because it gets a little too real when you hear it out loud? Shape-shifters, lycan, werewolves, whatever. To me he's just another dumb animal." Kate says grinning.

"What are you doing to him? Is that going to kill him?"

"Oh, kiddo, don't get all ethical on me. The electric charge just keeps him friendly." She pushes Derek's chin up, then pulls his lips back like a vet might with a dog to inspect its gums. "See these? Canines. Also known as fangs. Made for the rending and tearing off flesh. Not something you find on cute, leaf-eating herbivores." Gripping his chin, Kate fearlessly pulls Derek closer. "You know, there was an ancient breed of gray wolves whose teeth could crush bone? How hot is that?"

"This is a joke to you." Allison says looking shocked.

"Sweetheart, werewolves are running around in the world. Everything's a joke to me. How else do you think i stay sane?"

She casually drops Derek's head, letting his chin fall to his chest.

- ALLISON'S CAR -

Allison snaps her head up. Hurtling too fast toward the red brake lights of the cars ahead, she swerves into the next lane as a new flashback takes over her mind.

-ABANDONED BASEMENT -

Down a dark corridor, Allison follows Kate.

"So was it him in the school? And all of the animal attacks?" Allison asks.

"There's three of them, maybe four, i haven't found the girl yet. She might be one, but i'm not sure. There is also another young one like Derek, called a beta. The third is the Alpha." Kate says, focused on every single detail.

"What's an Alpha?"

"The pack leader. Bigger, stronger, nastier. Those are the real ugly motherfu--"

-ALLISON'S CAR -

The engine roars as Allison whips around a turn. She doesn't see a police car burst out of the shadows behind her, lights coming on.

- ABANDONED BASEMENT -

Florescent bulbs flicker across the ceiling of the corridor where Kate leads Allison out.

"When were they going to tell me?" The young hunter asks.

"They still haven't decided if they're going to tell you." Kate informs her.

"Why not?"

"Let's just say if you react badly when you find out, not good."

"What do you mean not good?" Allison raises her eyebrows.

"They don't think you can handle it. They see a frightened little girl who's going to run crying into a corner when she hears the truth."

"What do you see?"

"Natural talent. Potential." Kate smiles.

"Well, what am i supposed to do now?" Allison asks with confidence.

"Go to school, do your homework, go to the formal friday night. Be a normal teenage girl who doesn't know anything. And trust me to get everything ready for the next part."

"The next part? What's the next part?"

"You're going to help me catch the second beta."

- ALLISON'S CAR -

Sirens blaring behind her car, Allison looks into the rear view mirror at the red and blue flashing lights.

"Oh, come on, not now." She quickly pulls to the side of the road and parks. "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

Grabbing her license and registration, she rolls down the window. A flashlight beam flares in on her and Derek snaps out with his teeth.

Allison flinches, squinting in the beam of light. When it moves, she finds herself peering up at Sheriff Stilinski.

"Allison? Are you all right?"

"Yeah, i'm sorry i was going so fast. I didn't realize... I-"

But as she stammers, the teenage year-old girl begins to surface. Practically strangling the steering wheel with her hands, she can't fight what's about to happen.

"Oh, no." Stilinski mutters. Allison bursts into tears. "Okay, all right. You weren't going that fast. It was only 75. In a 25. In a construction zone."

"Oh god, i'm not crying to get out of the ticket. Please don't think i'm like that."

"It's okay, perfectly okay."

"No, please. Write me the ticket. You have to give me the ticket--"

"I don't think that would help--"

"This is humiliating. I swear i'm not like this." Allison sniffles.

"I understand--"

"This isn't me. It's not me." She slams her hands against the wheel. Then, wiping the tears away, she glances up with an embarrassed smile. "I'm okay, really, i am."

"Do i still have to give you a ticket?" Stilinski asks, still confused about what happened earlier.

- ARGENT HOME | ALLISON'S ROOM -

A black bag drops onto the bed. Allison unzips it to reveal the seperated parts of her compound bow.

With steady hands and precise movements, she begins piecing it together. Snapping the optical sight into place, she yanks back on the bowstring. Aiming right at...

--------------------------------------------------------------

END OF ACT ONE