𝐈𝐈𝐈: Finally, Some Attention

Sandra admired herself in a mirror she'd somehow stuck at the side of her locker. I was standing beside her, waiting so she could get her textbook, and we'd both move to Maths class.

"You know, I think I should run for class president. The school needs a face like mine." She glossed her lips red till they were so buffed she appeared desperate for a kiss.

I thought Sandra knew I wanted to go for class president and I thought she'd talk about me running for the position. I'd always given little hints here and there hoping she would grasp my interest in the student body affairs. I doubted I would go, really, but it would be fun talking about how awesome it would feel to be the president of the classes. Talk between two girlfriends, you know. But she didn't, and there was no talk between us about that, and that was that.

"Yeah," I stated, not truly sure what the best thing to offer as a reply was.

She shut her locker and stared at me. "Is it okay, my lips?"

She asked me who knew nothing about make-up or what it meant when they were okay.

"Um. . .Yeah," I answered.

Sandra was known for her sense of fashion and colour coordination, and there was no way her choices could be not okay. Another of her amazing features which I admired.

"So. . ." She had her blue schoolbag hanging on her shoulder. "What do you think I should say, you know if I am going to win class president?"

"Well, we set good examples." I waved my Mathematics textbook at her.

Sandra stopped and stood in front, facing me, inevitably blocking my path. "Students are still everywhere. The class will be pretty much empty."

Many students were still out in the corridor engaging themselves in little tittle-tattles. I nodded.

"What are the problems you think are worth mentioning?"

"Well. . ." I pretended to explore my mind. "You can talk about the cafeteria being too small, and how the seniors bully the younger ones by forcing them to the back of the line, and how you can fix this by either using the almost abandoned drama clubroom as a cafeteria for the juniors or by having different lunchtime for the juniors and seniors or, you know, put that in a language that suits you."

I didn't have to think about my answers. I've had them planned from the very first day I realized I wanted to go to a better, bully-free school. Sandra nodded and stood beside me and we walked to the class.

I continued, as we walked, "I heard people complain that Mr Cali, treats his students unfairly. I wouldn't know, you know, but it could be true. There should be an end-of-the-term assessment where papers with subject names and checkmarks are given, and students mark according to their opinions."

Sandra nodded attentively. "This should be done anonymously so students who give the brutal truths don't end up being hated by the teachers, or something."

Sandra's ardent ears were an indication that I could keep on. She pressed her lips thoughtfully. There was this glimmering attractive aura around Sandra. One that could draw you to her. She looked so harmless and adorable; she was.

"And there's bully, you know." I glanced around. People were walking in groups, glancing at Sandra and me. Of course, everyone thought it was weird that a cheerleader was hanging out with a nerd.

"And I've never heard of an efficient way of stopping that, besides public enlightenment, and all. You could have the school consider installing CCTV cameras in the corridors and open areas, only, possibly, and that classrooms and restrooms should be left out just to give the students a sense of privacy."