𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗: not a Zadio

Our. The pronoun didn't sit well with me. I may have been an Asterion, yes, but that shouldn't make me a Zadio. Most Asterions ran away, hadn't they? They came to stay in Neymen, working under the Royals. Elera Xengera didn't appear like one to make them go through torture. The torture had been a long, long time ago. There was peace in Neymen and their only threat was this small community down here.

I couldn't be a part of them. It didn't feel right. Neba, according to Crypta, sent me to fight against the Zadio, didn't he? Crypta, on his hand, had thought of qualities he expected in his new Earthian ally while working through the Merwinian portal, hadn't he? One of them certainly didn't involve betrayal.

"I'm not a Zadio, Tevessa. Watch the things you say with your mouth."

"What have I said?" He inquired. "I have told you as it is. A Zadio is a Zadio. There's no running from it."

"If there were, would you?"

"Would I what? Run?" He scoffed. "You don't know the history of this war, do you?" The corners of my lips twitched as I turned around. His eyes widened. "You're laughing?"

"Laiasona wanted to be king so badly he raped an Asterion and got married to her, no?" I retorted, squeezing water out of my hair. "Almost immediately, Sengba gave up his throne, didn't he? And then, Zadio finds out all the servants and maids are Asterions and, seeking revenge, killed Yvelcha. I know about it, Tevessa, and one bit of it doesn't make enough sense for such a feud to keep going on. For heaven's sake, it's been over one hundred and forty years since Laiasona's coronation."

Tevessa hissed. "Who has told you that story?"

"Surprised I know so much."

"I'm surprised you've believed fake news."

"Excuse me?"

"I see an Asterion from a mile away and I recognize him. Zadio was well aware of who Yvelcha and all the servants and maids were. He was well aware he was an adopted son. Well aware that, by right, he was the rightful heir to the throne. Zadio, he was the first man Neba physically appeared to and Neba told him everything he needed to know. Yvelcha Sirghasu was his girlfriend. He planned to get married and become Elera, and when he finally had the power, he would save his people from slavery and give them the liberty they deserve. Yvelcha betrayed him, Emery, by agreeing to sleep with Laiasona in exchange for the title of Kyelera.

"And after the coronation, Zadio swore to save his people, with or without the power and authority of Elera. Laiasona was afraid of Zadio's determination and that's why he cut the Asterions off and denied them resources. His plan was to make Zadio's new opposition give up. That's why Zadio wanted to kill him but Yvelcha got in the way and — well, she died saving her husband.

"The Zadio still stands today because Demeanor, Zadio's son, made a promise to his father. A promise to ensure the liberty of his people or die trying. And he, Demeanor, and his sister, Pani, did die trying. We are not Zadios because we want to satisfy our ego, no. We're doing this to see that Demeanor's one wish comes true."

Raising both arms, Tevessa showed me the tattoos on his arms. "I was born with these drawings. I learned everything at the age of five, the day Neba appeared to me for the first time, though in a dream. He kept whispering to me, telling me that 'the liberty of Asterions must be guaranteed' and I was... the chosen one, the heir to the throne. When I told my father, he made everything clear to me, the war, the history, the reason why Demeanor officially gave our opposition the name 'Zadios'. But he made it clear that it was he who was heir to the throne of Neba, as long as he's alive."

He stretched his hands to the water and clasped his palm. Following the movement, the water divided into two and came together in a rush. Water bounced everywhere, some overflowing to the bank and moving under my feet. "This battle is mine. That was what I thought until..." Using his right hand, he moved his fingers up. Water escaped the sea and moved spirally in a straight line, taking the form of a dragon.