𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈: the Zadios

I couldn't believe what I had just read. The words 'Zadio Valimenati' kept ringing in my head. Herald wasn't making matters easy, walking briskly like he was running away from something. It wasn't until we were back in the busy area, where people wouldn't pay so much attention to us, that he stopped, sprayed the potion and we were back in Asterion, near the riverbank.

"What have you learned?" He was facing away from me, fists clenched, eyes focused on the flowing water ahead. Slowly, he used his legs to take off his sandals.

I buried my hands in the pocket of my trousers, too nervous to even admit the truth. "That... That the Zadios are... They're..."

"The entire community, our Asterions, they are the Zadios, Emery. That is why it is important that you tell us where they are."

I glanced at the seemingly never-ending array of sand. Further down were those bricks, those disguised bricks, that the Royals had never figured. I felt this tinge of proud in my spine. I had only been involved with Neba a few weeks ago, and yet, I knew the secret they had been trying so hard to discover.

"Did Zadio name his opposition the Zadios? Was he the beginning of it?" I asked.

Herald puffed out as he walked to the river, sat beside the water and ran his fingers along the river. "Ez, every community is born with their special netal, what gives them the upper hand. In Bhishon, it's their insight and knowledge that makes them better than everyone else. The Nesylone Waters of Bhishon is considered sacred. You can only fetch water from it at specific times.

"For the Elakkis, as you know, it's our wealth. We have everything with worth, we supply them to the rest of Neba.

"In Neymen, it's their literacy. Most of them are educators, have been to top Cirile countries for further study: Krah nad Dregyhjyn.

"Asterions are fighters. No one dares to challenge an Asterion, not even a Royal. You can die from the slap of an Asterion, they're invincible, you see... Come, sit."

My legs were giving in anyway, so I made my way to the bay and sat on the sand. Moving my fingers across, it made a glowing trail. It was a sign of the presence of my fire glowing with me.

"Asterions don't have money. But they're blessed in an extraordinary way. During the winter," Herald explained, "when food in other communities is scarce and water has frozen or dried up, the Waters of Asterion remains warm and fresh and all the fishes migrate here and the Asterions gather them and sell sometimes. It's an irony, is it not, that the winter is a period of harvest?"

I nodded lightly. Most of these things Herald was saying did not matter to me. Why had Tevessa lied to me? Bihak's father was killed in a battle the Zadios had forced them to be engaged in? There had never been such battle! Heck, Asterions were hiding at that time.

And, the Royals had called no battle. It was the Zadios instigating senseless wars and killing people.

"Crypta's told me that the Uktamas are against him. Why's that?"

Herald chuckled. "They're against his means rather. Uktamas are what you may call lawyers, journalist, businessmen and pocketed elites. They form the council that holds Neba together. If a thief was caught, he is tried by that council. Ez, the Uktamas work work with intellect not fists."

"Why did the Zadios start such a senseless feud?"

"Senseless, you say?"

"Isn't it? I mean, what do they stand to gain, other than the seat of the royals being passed to the Valimenati household?"