five : new job

Tristan pushes my body lightly and I shoot awake, realizing I had fallen asleep last night

Tristan pushes my body lightly and I shoot awake, realizing I had fallen asleep last night. I scanned the room noticing the warmth of the sun on my arms as the cold AC continued filling the room.  "Hey, you forgot to eat last night." I look over at the dresser seeing the dinner tray had now been replaced with a neat fluffy stack of french toast. White powdered sugar dusted over an array of blueberries and blackberries. How long have I been asleep? "I brought you breakfast, Wren." He says, letting go of my shoulder. "You okay?"

I yawn, dangling my feet over the bed before nodding in response. "Yeah..." I say, rubbing my eyelids before pushing myself up and walking slowly towards the dresser. I grabbed a slice of french toast and take a small bite before turning back towards Tristan. "What did Amiri want to talk to you about?" I say leaning against the wall, feeling sudden discomfort in my tight leggings.

"Oh. Remember the worker at the venue? The party is thrown by a rich dude who asked a bunch of freelancers to get different pieces. Sabine has to get it, get out, and so do we but without getting her compromised. The worker's name is Yousef. He's going to be wearing a name tag, we just have to be paying attention. He asked me to grab something else of his on our way out." He says, leaning his head against the bed frame and I notice his abs glistening with each word.

The sunlight beaming in from the small windows and skylight in our room shines onto his body as he moves his arm behind his head. "Oh, okay." I look away and take another bite, "Yousef, okay."

He glances up at me, head tilting to the side. "What's up with you?" He sits upwards, glancing at the french toast in my hand.

I break eye contact and look around for a second. "What do you mean?" I say taking a more aggressive bite this time. "Okay, maybe I didn't realize how close you and Amiri were."

"What do you mean?" Tristan furrows his eyebrows, a look of seriousness spreading across his face.

"I thought this was just a way out of Europe. Like you had to find some of the most dangerous people... not like you already had connections with them. I just wasn't aware you guys break bread together and crack a few jokes about murdering innocent people."

He shakes his head before leaning up towards me with his hands in his lap. "I... I need to ask, where this is coming from? You have no reason to be worried about your survival because even though this might seem dangerous, he's gonna protect us better than the police ever could. So where's this coming from because if you felt like that I doubt you'd sign a contract with him yourself. What's going on, Wren?"

I pause wondering whether this deal was a good idea. "Nothing. I just want us to be more realistic about what exactly we're doing. If I were friends with them, that's something I would have told you. This whole time I haven't been trying to pry or overstep but..."

"Do you wanna know what it sounds like to me?" My hand clings to my elbow, pinching the skin lightly as I nod at him to continue. "I think this is because you want answers. I'm just one of his closest assets and nothing more," He stands up walking towards me and grabbing my hands in between us, "Wren, I promise you I will find out about what Oliver was talking about. You don't have to worry. Get through today and I promise you I will help you find answers." My eyes trail across his face before I nod my head biting my lip anxiously. "You know everything I do is for you." He pulls me closer to him and I feel
the heat radiating off his body. My hands cling to his sides before wrapping around him. "You're gonna be fine." He says as he pulls his arms tighter around me.

Immortal: Eternal FlameOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara