6

"No."

"But Mr. Aizawa-"

"I said No. That's final."

The boy pouted, shoulders slumping forward and head  hanging low. Aizawa looked at him blankly, face revealing nothing more  on his opinion about the matter.

It was the day before the hero license exam and the  teacher had just ended class with a brief lecture about what to expect  for the exam. When he finished his piece and dismissed the students,  they all filed out while Gon stayed behind. Once a majority of the class  had left, the boy instantly jumped out of his seat and made his way to  stand in front of Aizawa, blocking him from the door.

Before he was able to ask what the kid wanted, he was instantly interrupted with: "Can I take the exam too?"

Aizawa shot him down immediately, his response almost  overlapping with the end of the boy's question. Based on all his  interactions with the boy so far he knew two things were going to  happen. One being the fact that the boy would want to participate,  considering he had a clear habit of getting caught up in anything  relating to skill or strength. The other was that Gon would not go down  on this decision without a fight.

He watched Gon sulk for maybe half a second before his  head shot up to bore his burning gaze through Aizawa's indifferent one.  The man didn't even flinch.

"If you're worried that I won't pass, I think I'll be  okay. I took the hunter's exam to get my hunter's license, and they  might not be all that different." Gon tried, voice laced with a wary  confidence despite the hint of pleading on his boyish features.

"I'm not worried that you'll fail-" Aizawa let out a  tired sigh. He didn't get paid enough to put up with all this extra  work. The boy was endearing but was causing more headaches for him than  he'd ever thought possible. "I'm more concerned about the fact that we  don't know how long you'll be staying here. There's a lot to think about  regarding your situation."

Gon winced.

Everything happened at such neck breaking speed, paired  with the boy's tendency to live in the moment and think on his toes  rather than contemplate and plan ahead, he clearly hadn't thought about  it. In a way he almost forgot he'd left his world behind to come here.

After his long talk with Aizawa and Principle Nezu,  there was a quiet agreement between all of them that Gon was indeed from  another world entirely. With this also came the realization that at  some point Gon would have to go back home.

He stared hard at the toes of his boots, brows furrowed  and mouth drawn in a tight line. His heart pulsed with an emotion he  couldn't quite place. Slowly, almost cautiously, he brought his line of  sight back up to the teacher standing in front of him, ever patient.

"I know that but..." He began, hands fiddling with his  fingers absentmindedly. "I just... I thought..." He didn't really know what  he thought. Unsure what he was even trying to say. A puff of breath  escaped his mouth and he steeled himself to continue.

"You're right. I don't know how long I'm staying, and I  have to go eventually-" The crease between his brows became more  distinct as his expression transformed from a look of vague distress so  sharp determination. "But I'm here now. While I'm here I want to keep up  and do what I can. If this is a step- a part of that- then... then I want  to do it too!"

Aizawa blinked.

A subtle fondness flashed across his face and was gone  as quickly as it came. He inhaled deeply before releasing another steady  breath. A large, pale hand settled on the boys shoulder and gave it a  sturdy pat.