20

"Begin."

The response was instant. 

An explosion erupted from behind Bakugou, launching him forward. Gon ducked, narrowly missing a hand, fingers curled, reaching for the spot where his head once was. The second explosion went off just a few inches from his face, waves of heat rolling off the aftermath and making him squint his eyes slightly. A high pitched ringing took home in Gon's ears, yet it wasn't enough to hold him back.

Blurry vision cleared just in time to catch sight of a shoe quickly approaching his shoulder. Gon leapt out of the way, leaving the teen to hit nothing but empty air. Bakugou was fast, he'd give him that.

Within half a second, Gon distanced himself to the opposite side of the platform once again. Although he had a general idea of what Bakugou was capable of, Gon had never actually seen him fight before. It would do him good to take every opportunity to observe his moves, and come up with countermoves in the process. 

One thing he recognized earlier was that, although similar, Bakugou's power was not like Genthru's. The way the teen used his ability was also different than the terrorist he'd faced on Greed Island. The 'bombs' in this situation were larger and cause a wider scale of damage, and also didn't require any physical contact or trigger words to activate it. Another thing to consider was that no one was supposed to get killed or seriously injured during the battle.

Which meant that the way he'd have to go about avoiding and counteracting attacks would have to be different as well.

From his spot across the platform, the tip of Bakugou's shoe had just barely brushed the surface of the floor when his arms shot out behind him and released twin explosions. The force of it propelled him back in the boy's direction. This time the teen managed to somewhat land a hit on the boy who was forcibly torn out of his thoughts. The kick sent towards Gon's head was stopped as he swiftly brought an arm up to block it. 

Bakugou's face twisted into a grimace when a spike of pain shot up his leg. It was like he'd just tried to kick a steel wall. Thanks to that, there was now a dull throbbing sensation where his leg met the boy's arm, but he refused to back down. 

A shiver crawled up the teen's spine, lifting his eyes to see Gon reaching an arm out toward the junction between his neck and shoulder. His stomach flipped and Bakugou shoved himself backwards, just out of the boy's reach. Out of pure instinct, he actually took two or so steps even further back, a grunt slipping past gritted teeth from the searing pain pulsing up his leg.

Fighting Gon was nothing like fighting Deku.

Granted, he never thought it would be in the first place. Maybe it was because the broccoli headed idiot was one of the strongest people he'd faced close to his age. But even then, Bakugou had challenged Gon knowing there were dangerous unknowns about the boy that had seemed almost inhuman. That one kick alone wouldn't have left such a lingering sore spot if he were fighting Deku. So, he shouldn't treat his opponent like they're similar. No, rather he should be significantly more wary.

He was easy to anger, but he wasn't an idiot.

Bakugou took the small break in the fight to take a breath, steadying himself. It felt like all his senses were sharper, more honed in order to focus on Gon. Every single move the boy made was faster than his brain could keep up with, and an ominous power shrouded him that made his nerves scream out in bone deep terror. 

It was disturbing. 

It was frightening. 

It was... thrilling.

"You better not hold back, Freecs!" Bakugou shouted, launching himself forward again with another blast. The manic grin on his face brought a smile to the boy's face as well.