13

After everything that happened, Gon found that he had trouble falling  asleep that night. He tossed and turned for hours, old memories and new  ones flashing through his mind like a never ending movie. The stressful  activity of his brain and the lingering energy built up from the exam  made him restless and he felt the urge to run.

It was late in the middle of the night. The dorms were completely  silent, save for the subtle snores coming from behind some of the closed  doors. Beyond the windows it was dark but clear, stars spattering the  night sky and framing a pale glowing moon.

Under the cover of said darkness, Gon slipped quietly between the  shadows and down the hall. Every now and again he would stop to see if  he could sense any presences moving about or strain his ears to listen  for any nearby sounds. He desperately needed this run as a healthy, non  threatening way to vent and didn't want to risk getting caught by a  patrolling teacher.

Eventually he'd made his way to the front lobby. The sight of the  front door fueled the fire for his mission, making his focus tunnel in  on it, his heart thumping in eager anticipation. He was only about half  way to the door when a sudden voice came from behind him.

"What are you doing, freak." The deep gruff voice belonged to one of  his classmates. The one that really didn't like him. Gon flinched and  slightly turned his head to peek at the blonde standing a few feet away  from him, a clear glass of water held in his hand.

"Nothing much, just- thought about relaxing on the couch for a bit."  Gon replied, a sheepish smile on his face and completely ignoring the  offhanded insult.

"That's a pretty shitty excuse considering the couches aren't  outside." Bakugou observed with a twinge of irritation in his voice,  eyeing the boy's extremely close proximity to the front door. He'd  watched Gon pass him by on a straight path to leave the building and  wasn't about to fall for such a flimsy fib.

"Yeah, I'm pretty bad at lying so I'm not surprised." Gon admitted  easily, to which the teen gave him a bored look. "I couldn't sleep.  Running through the forest at home would make me feel better so..." the  boy fiddled with his fingers a bit as he spoke, looking like a child  with his hand caught in the cookie jar. "I was just gonna run to the  bottom of the mountain and back."

"Hm, whatever." The blonde grumbled, preparing to turn around and head back to his room.

"Ah! Hey Katsuki, wanna come with me?" Gon said brightly, bubbling  with a sudden enthusiasm. It seemed like he forgot all of his previous  caution and distaste from their interactions before.

The blonde felt his brow twitch and froze mid step before his head  whipped around so fast it made the boy step back a bit in surprise. "Who  the fuck said you could call me that?!" He growled fiercely.

"But... isn't that your name?" Gon responded innocently. Bakugou ground his teeth in frustration at his idiocy.

"That doesn't mean!- ah whatever, it's too late for this shit. I'm going back to bed."

"Oh, okay! Then I'll just go out for a bit." Gon was about to send  off the teen with a 'goodnight' but thought again when he caught the  feral look in his eyes.

He turned back around and continued to make his way to the front  door. It was quiet again, only the soft sound of the boys boots against  the wooden floor could be heard. However, up until Gon put his hand on  the handle, he could still smell the sweet, charred scent of burnt  caramel not moving from its previous spot. Although he noticed this, he  said nothing.

"Hey, Freak." The boy paused but didn't turn around, hearing the  clink of glass being set down while waiting for Bakugou to continue. He  seemed to be thinking about something and only finished speaking when he  made up his mind. "I'll go too. Just to make sure you don't do  something stupid."