23

"Well, that's the thing. I don't actually want to be a hero."

"..."

"What?"

Gon grumbled lowly under his breath. The amount of times he had to think about, or address, this topic was getting repetitive. Even though he had fallen into a world of heroes, that didn't necessarily mean that he wanted to become one himself. Especially since he had no reason or motivation to. It wasn't like he had friends or family in that line of work to make him curious enough about it. The main reason he was a hunter was because of his father after all.

He only attended UA because Principal Nezu offered him a position as a student. It was either that or wander the streets homeless, penniless, and illiterate. In this world he had nowhere to go and, at first, no means to properly communicate or understand his environment. Blending in would have been difficult if it wasn't for the hero school taking him in for the time being, and he would take advantage of that for as long as he was able.

Being a hero had lost its appeal over time, and him attending the school did nothing to change that. If anything, it made his view on the job that much worse. 

Looking around at the various expressions cast his way, Gon realized he wouldn't be able to explain any of that. To a society that was built on a foundation revolving around heroes, trying to go against that would make him even more of an outcast than he already was. Besides, even if he did try to explain himself, it wasn't very likely that they'd understand his side of things.

He also didn't have the patience or capacity to explain it. Again, he'd have to talk about his origins and the like which took too much effort that, at this point, he was too lazy to think about.

"I can't really talk about it... but I'm a student there because of my situation. I needed help and the principal offered it in exchange for me being a student and I agreed." Gon kept a close eye on the villain's reactions as he spoke.

"I get what being a hero is about, mostly. The thing is that it's just not for me. There's too many rules and restrictions and other things that heroes have to put up with and it just doesn't sound fun to me. So yeah. I mean, I get why you're doing what you're doing, it's just that it has nothing to do with me."

Not to mention the fact that there was no telling how much longer he'd be in this world. If he decided to join them in the end, he wouldn't be able to guarantee any long term help. When it was time for him to go back to his world he would return without sparing this one a second glance. 

At least, he hoped he wouldn't be here for that long. He wasn't quite sure how much of this confusing, boring world he could tolerate before he found himself accidentally acting out.

"That's... a really interesting outlook you have. I didn't think there were people out there who thought like that," Shigaraki mused, pushing off of his perch on the heavy machinery to stand on the warehouse floor. His movement triggered something in the room as the people around him shuffled slightly, as if preparing to take action at any moment.

"Most people are mesmerized by the shimmer and shine that comes with being a hero," Dabi spoke up,  walking out from behind Gon to sit on a crate by Toga. "Everyone's attention is on them pretty much ninety nine percent of the time. It's hard to believe there are exceptions."

"You guys are too, right? At least, it kinda sounds like you are." Gon tilted his head in curiosity, his arms crossing over his chest. From what he gathered, these 'villains' had a sort of love-hate relationship with heroes.

"Not quite!" The masked guy chimed in. "We're scorned by hero society because we are different. People like us can only help themselves because the heroes won't and that's what we want to change. As you can imagine, that doesn't give us the most positive opinion of them."