Chapter 1

Safania's POV

By now the soles of my shoes had worn down to nothing. Barefoot, I wandered through the forest looking for signs of civilization. My feet were torn up from the rough terrain, but I was too numb to feel. I saw my breath appear in front of me. Night was falling soon, and I knew my body didn't have the strength to survive another cold evening.

I heard the sounds of water, so I headed in that direction hoping to find a fishing village. Instead, I found a large river, ice sticking to some of the rocks like crystals. I must be near Peria, I thought. I fell to my knees by the riverbank and drank some of the cool, crystal clear water. How did I end up here? I realized I no longer had the strength to stand. Was this where I would die? I looked around, my vision becoming hazier. But even through my clouded vision, I could tell this place was beautiful. Lush, tall pine trees towering over a beautiful rocky river. I drifted off peacefully, letting the chirping birds and rushing water sing me to sleep.

**********

Third Person POV

"You swear these people have money, Embrien?" a merchant aboard a small ship asked his companion.

"I swear Claude. I wouldn't have forced you to come all the way up to this frozen hellscape if I didn't think it would be worth it," Embrien replied. "It's so cold all the time that no one bothers to sell up here. So when they do get merchants, it's like a party for them. They treat you practically like royalty. And you make more than you would ever make in Trevor Glen."

Claude pursed his lips, unconvinced. It had better be worth it for the amount of time it took him to come here. Not like he had a family back home that would miss him. But there were some lovely ladies in the newest town brothel that he would miss.

"Captain, look!" a lookout exclaimed to Embrien.

The pair of merchants looked at the shoreline, eventually finding what the young boy was pointing to. A figure lay motionless on the shore of the river.

"Stop the boat!" Embrien yelled.

"Are you crazy?" Claude asked. "You don't have any idea who that is. We're going to waste precious selling time most likely recapturing a runaway servant? We don't even know if he's alive."

"Darien, swim to shore and bring the body back," Embrien commanded a large man. Darien nodded and jumped into the water. Embrien was always impressed by his first mate. The water had to be freezing, but Darien showed no sign of feeling the temperature at all.

"You're right," Embrien said now speaking to Claude. "He could be a runaway servant. He could also be a young prince who lost his way. Or a palace guard who was sent on a special mission. Returning him dead or alive could net us a lot of money. And if it's just a lowly servant, we can sell him to someone in the town. Besides, it won't take Darien any time to bring his body back."

The two looked at the shore again. Sure enough, Darien already had the body hoisted over his back and was swimming back to the ship. The crew helped Darien back into the ship, where he presented the body to Embrien and Claude. The two inhaled sharply. The figure was one of the most beautiful women they had ever seen. She was clearly malnourished, but her jet black long, wavy hair, pouty pink mouth, and delicate nose made her look like she was simply sleeping.

"Is she still breathing?" Embrien asked.

"Yes, but it's faint," Darien responded.

"Take her below deck and try to warm her," Embrien commanded. "She probably has a severe case of hypothermia if she's been out here more than a few hours."

"Yes sir," Darien responded.

"Who do you think she is?" Claude asked Embrien.

Embrien shrugged. "She doesn't look like she's from Peria. Her skin is far too dark. You'll see, they're all very pale up there. But she doesn't look like she's from anywhere near Trevor's Glen either, because her skin isn't quite dark enough. My guess would be that she's from Shyra, or somewhere in the East."

"She's beautiful," Claude said.

"Yes," Embrien agreed. "But don't forget that this is a business deal. We're taking her to get the money that will come from turning her in. Besides, you and I both know we could never afford a girl like this."

"Which is why maybe we could wait to turn her over . . . spend some quality time with her if you know what I mean. We won't get a chance like this anytime soon."

"No," Embrien said firmly. "Would you sell any of your goods used?" Claude shook his head. "And why not?" Embrien asked. "Because it wouldn't fetch more than half its actual price," Claude replied.

"Exactly," Embrien said. "We're going to market her as an unknown commodity. A mysterious girl washed up on the shore. Right now, she could be a runaway war criminal . . . or a kidnapped princess. The second either of us sleeps with her, we turn her into a common whore. Besides, if she is some noble woman, they could hang us for doing something like that."

Claude sighed. "You're right."

Embrien smiled. A girl that beautiful someone was looking for. And if no one was, they could sell her to a brothel in Peria for lots of gold. Their fortune had just improved immensely.