Chapter 94

The following chapter contains violence. Reader discretion is advised.

My beloved wife,

By the time you are reading this, we will already be on the move. This will probably come as a shock – we had planned to train for much longer, but the troops blended with the elementalists better than we had even hoped. That, combined with our desire to surprise Alterius as much as possible, convinced us to leave earlier than planned.

You probably won't hear from me until after we take the castle. I just want you to know how much I love you and how proud I am to be your husband. I intend to keep my promises to you and our child – I will make this world safe for you both.

We've both suffered so much to get where we are, you especially. But once this is over and my brother is gone, we will finally have the peace and comfort we deserve. I truly believe that.

I miss you terribly, but I will look forward to seeing you again sooner than I thought.

Forever yours,

Cassius

*****

Safania's POV

I re-read Cassius's letter at least five times in disbelief. They were leaving today? That meant they had only trained for two days... I wanted to write him back to tell him to wait, but now that he had left the fort, I had no way to reach him. He knows what he's doing, I tried reassuring myself. He knows how important this is. He wouldn't rush it unless it was the right call.

"Is everything okay?" Emalina asked. I looked up to realize she was studying my face carefully. Probably concerned about a repeat of what happened after I read the last letter.

"They left this morning," I told her.

"Already?" she asked, surprised.

"Cassius decided it was the best decision."

"Well...Cassius is good at these sorts of things. You know that. We just have to trust him."

"I know," I replied slowly, my mind swimming with thoughts. 

"Saffy?" Emalina asked, startling me. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," I assured her. "I should be there."

"Saffy, no," Emalina said firmly.

"Em, he needs me. They all need me. I could be helping them right now, and instead I'm sitting here doing nothing."

Emalina said something else, but I wasn't paying attention.

"If I left now, I could make it to Peria at the same time as them," I said aloud, ignoring her. I started thinking about what I needed to pack, which route I would take.

"You listen to me Safania," Emalina said sharply, cutting through my thoughts. "I love you, but you are one of the most impulsive people I have ever met. We are staying here and we are going to wait and pray and worry and whatever else we can do. What we're not going to do is show up unexpectedly in Peria and risk your life, your baby's life, and everyone else's life by distracting them."

I stared at Emalina, speechless. I had never heard her speak to anyone so assertively. Her stern expression immediately crumbled upon seeing my shock.

"I'm sorry..." Emalina began.

"No, you're right," I told her. "You don't have anything to apologize for."

Emalina breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank goodness. I don't know what came over me."