Chapter 26

Safania's POV

I woke after a refreshing, dreamless sleep. Suddenly, I realized someone was in the bed with me with his arm draped over me, and my head on his chest. Memories of last night came flooding back. You weak, foolish girl, I scolded myself. In disbelief, I remembered that I had invited a man – worse, a prince – to share my bed with me. I survived five years on my own, but I couldn't survive one night of bad dreams?

I looked up at Cassius, who was still sleeping peacefully. This was really, really bad. Cassius was kind and gentle, but also commanding and stern. The exact type of man that forms extremely close connections with damsels in distress. I was sure he loved being the rescuer type. And after I had finally managed to earn his respect after breaking my leg, I was back to being a helpless thing for him to protect again.

His eyes fluttered open. "Good morning Safania," he said, smiling and looking down at me resting my head on his bare chest.

"Good morning," I replied, hastily moving away.

"What is it?" he said, frowning.

"Nothing," I said, trying to act calm and collected. "Thank you for staying with me last night. I apologize for my..." I couldn't find the right words, settling finally on "moment of weakness."

Cassius continued to frown. He stood up and grabbed his robe from the chair he had put it on last night, putting it on. To my annoyance, I found myself disappointed that he was covering up his extremely attractive body. Get a hold of yourself, I told myself firmly. Thinking about him shirtless will not help you. You need to stay focused.

That was hard to do when he looked back at me with his typical, intense stare. He sat down on the bed, looking at me intently.

"Safania, last night wasn't a 'moment of weakness'."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Nightmares don't make you weak. They're part of your brain's way of processing trauma," he explained.

"I know that," I replied. "I was talking about asking you to spend the night."

"Well, first of all, you didn't ask, I offered," the prince corrected me.

"But I agreed."

Cassius sighed. "Safania, you don't have to be strong all the time, you know? It's okay to need help. It's okay to let people into your life."

He had no idea.

"I don't need anyone," I snapped. "Thank you for taking care of me last night. But I don't need you, or anyone else. All I need is myself."

I found myself taking deep breaths to maintain my composure. Don't lose control, I told myself.

"Fine," Cassius said simply, turning to leave. When he was right next to the doorframe, he turned around. "You know, I've about had it with you. Did you not need anyone when you were found nearly frozen to death by the river? Or when you were about to be sold to the highest bidder in the throne room? Or what about when you fell from this castle and broke your leg? But no, you are completely ungrateful for everything that I've done for you."

"Ungrateful?" I repeated. "You are keeping me in this castle against my will! You're no better than the slave traders!"

"Then maybe I should sell you back to them!" he yelled.

I turned away, my eyes closed. I could feel them burning. Focus. Breathe. Don't let him see.

Before I could compose myself, Cassius spoke again.

"I'm sorry," he said, sitting on the corner of my bed. "I shouldn't have said that. I just don't understand you. Right when I think I'm finally getting through to you, we're finally making a connection, you insist on pushing me away."