Chapter 42

*21 years ago*

"Cassius, what's wrong?"

"Alterius k-killed my bird," the young boy sniffled.

"My baby," the woman said, taking the boy in her arms. "I'm so sorry."

Cassius continued to sniffle. "He b-broke its wings and s-s-stabbed it with his knife. Why would he d-do that mama?"

"Because he's not like you sweetheart," his mother said darkly. "He enjoys hurting other people."

His mother took his shoulders and looked at him. "Little prince, listen to me. The books I read you about princes and kings? The real world isn't like that. People like Alterius are going to try to hurt you however they can. And they will. They will take the things you love away from you, they will sabotage you, they will try to find any weakness you have and use it against you."

"What do I do?" Cassius asked, looking at his mother, with tears still in his eyes. "How do I not get hurt?"

His mother smiled sadly. "You have to let yourself get hurt sweetheart. When you care about something, that's when you get hurt. But caring about things, people, animals is what makes you different than your brothers. It's what will make you a great ruler someday. So you have to feel the pain. You just can't them let you see that you do. If they sense that you're weak, they will take advantage of it. So you have to be strong."

"I want him to pay for what he did," Cassius said, no longer sad, but angry.

"He will my sweet prince. When you are on the throne and he is just a footnote in history."

"But he's the firstborn. He is going to be the King."

His mother shook her head. "Your father gets to pick. And if he has the choice between someone cruel like Alterius and someone kind like you, he will pick you. But you have to be strong and in control. That's what he cares about."

Cassius nodded. His mother wiped his cheeks.

"Don't cry sweetheart. Be strong, okay?"

Cassius looked at his mother, determined.

"Don't worry mother. I'm not crying anymore."

*****

Third Person POV

Cassius woke up while it was still dark outside, which was typical with the short winter days. He put on his training outfit, preparing for yet another morning of practicing combat. He wished he could just spend the day with Safania, especially after last night. He thought about the taste of her, the feeling of her pressing against him, the delicate gasps and moans she made that he had provoked. But he shouldn't have lost his control. When she kissed him in her bedroom, he completely lost all of his self-restraint. It was like a dam bursting – he wanted all of her right then. He would have to be more careful in the future. Apparently Safania wasn't as in control of her actions as he had thought.

He went out to train with Edward. The snow continued to fall as the two sparred. It was a much more even match than usual because Cassius was extremely distracted.

"Something on your mind?" Edward asked him after knocking him to the ground for the third time.

Cassius pulled himself up. "Just a little tired after the ball I suppose," he lied.

"As far as balls go, it was a rather amusing one. Did you see it when one of Orphasius's dates threw her drink at the other? And I got to dance with Lady Janine of Maanil? I think she might have a thing for me."