Chapter 50

Safania's POV

I finished the story the way I had told most of it – quietly, staring down at the quilt on my bed. Cassius had been silent the whole time, just letting me say everything I needed to say.

"So now you know," I concluded. "The worst thing I've ever done."

"I'm so sorry that happened to you Safania," Cassius said.

"Now do you understand why I can't be your wife?"

"What are you talking about?" Cassius asked, confused.

"I'm a criminal Cassius. I murdered someone. Not just any someone. A high-ranking military official. I'm a wanted woman in Irado."

Cassius smiled. "I don't know if you realized this, but Peria isn't exactly on good terms with Irado."

"That's not the point," I said, frustrated. "I'm dangerous. I lost control. And it could happen again. It could have happened with Orphasius in the kitchen. And what if I get mad at you? It could happen to you too."

"First of all, the fact it didn't happen with Orphasius means you have more control now than you did before," Cassius told me. "And second, this wasn't someone arguing about some trivial relationship thing. This was someone insulting your family, mocking your culture, and actively trying to assault you. All you did was defend yourself. You have nothing to be ashamed of. And if I ever did what he did to you, I would deserve whatever fury you had to rain down on me."

"You don't mean that."

"I do."

I looked at Cassius skeptically.

"What about this," he said. "Let me go to my father and convince him to agree to our union. As part of our celebration, we'll travel to the Western Fort. Along the way, we can search for the women you were hoping would train you. And if we can't find them, you can train at the fort instead."

"You'll let me train with your soldiers?" I asked, not believing him.

"Why not? You could clearly teach them a thing or two after how you handled yourself out in the forest. And if you practice enough, maybe you'll feel more confident that you won't have to resort to using your abilities here. But to be perfectly honest," he leaned in closer, smiling, "you could already beat Orphasius. He talks a big game, and he's strong enough, but he has absolutely no technique. If you beat the four soldiers I sent, he wouldn't stand a chance against you."

That, more than anything Cassius said, comforted me. I had taken on entire gangs of men before, sometimes by choice. I had let the castle overwhelm me, turn me into my old, scared self. But I was stronger than that. And more than that – unlike on the road, I wasn't alone.

I looked at Cassius. He was handsome, intelligent, kind. He knew all my secrets and he still loved me, still wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. And not because I was powerful, not because he could use me to his advantage. He wanted me for me.

It was true that I didn't know what would happen in the future. And this could easily go horrifically wrong, especially if the King or Cassius's brothers found out about me. But for the first time since the war, I felt like I was chasing after happiness. I knew that I might not find it.

But I at least deserved to try.

"I want to be with you Cassius," I told him finally, having processed all my feelings.

A smile spread across his face. "I'm very glad. But maybe we should make this official."

Cassius got up from the bed and got down on one knee. "Safania of Eir, would you do me the great honor of being my lawfully wedded wife?" He reached into his pocket and pulled out a beautiful sapphire ring.

"How long have you been carrying that around?" I asked, surprised.

"Answer the question Safania," he said, half joking, half serious.

"Yes, Cassius. I will marry you."

He smiled again and slid the ring on my ring finger. Then he kissed my hand softly.

"It's beautiful," I said, admiring it.

"It was my mother's," he said.

I looked at him abruptly. "Cassius, I can't..."

"She would have loved you," he said sadly. "I can go get you another ring, but I know she would have wanted you to wear it. It would have meant a lot to her, and she would be so happy to be a part of this."

"Okay," I acquiesced.

"Well, then, let me go tell my father and convince him to give us his blessing. Then we can start talking about wedding plans."

"Cassius, wait."

He turned around again. "Please don't tell me there's another murder you have to confess to," he said, joking.

"I...after the ball, you told me you loved me."

"I still do," he said, slightly confused.

"No, I know...I just, because of everything going on, and the secrets, and being afraid...I never got to say it back. I know it's a little late now, but..." I took a deep breath.

"I love you too Cassius."

The biggest smile I had ever seen covered Cassius's normally stoic face. He walked back over to my bed, bent down, and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him closer.

"I suppose I don't have to talk to my father right this second," he said, climbing into bed next to me.

I curled into him, my head resting on his chest. He wrapped his arm around me and mindlessly stroked my hair. We just laid there, enjoying each other's presence, relaxed by each other's touch. In Cassius's arms, I felt things I hadn't been able to enjoy in years. Safety. Comfort. Peace.

I was home.