Book of Hours [2]

"I'm glad we followed your hunch," Peter said as he and Neal walked through the FBI office. "Hope it takes us somewhere,"

"Oh, ye of little faith," Neal said.

"You've been waiting to trot that one out,"

"Been holding onto it since lunch," Neal smirked. He looked up to where Steve was looking over mug shots. "That bad huh?" Neal asked the female agent as she walked out of the room.

"Yeah, that bad was about an hour ago," The agent proclaimed.

Peter realized he took the last of the coffee.

"Just give me the damn thing,"

Peter and Neal went up to talk to Steve.

"No luck, huh?" Peter asked.

"No." Steve admitted "Not really, no. Look, I'm...I'm sorry I'm not more help to you. My bell got rung pretty good in Fallujah,"

"You were in Iraq?" Peter realized.

"Yeah. That's where I found Lucy." Steve said as he petted his dog. "We called in this predator strike on this trigger house. Two hellfires came in...and just destroyed everything. Then I hear this little whimpering so...I lift up this piece of roof. And there she was. Just wagging her tail,"

"Well, you think you could look at one more book?"

Peter and Neal looked out the window as they heard the team being moved out, the Director heading up the steps.

"What's going on?" Peter asked.

"One of Barelli's men just got shot." The Director explained.

"Who?"

"Paul Ignazio." An Agent replied "Barelli's number two." He slid the file towards Peter.

Peter looked down at the photo on the front "Barelli's nephew,"

"That's him," Steve realized.

"Who?"

"That's the guy that asked me to take the Bible,"

***

"We're off the case?" Neal asked as Peter walked over to where he sat on the docks, Liz was a couple of feet away as the duo had just finished a quick coffee break chat before Peter had made his way over.

"We've been asked to step down," Peter sighed.

"You think this is a retaliation killing by the other family?"

"I don't think Paul would've met a Moretti alone by this river. Not with all the bad blood in the water,"

"Now, if Ruiz is right,"

"That Moretti killed him? We may be sitting on the edge of a mob war,"

"So, what do we do?"

"I can't do much of anything," Peter admitted. "Ruiz is not willing to share the case file,"

"So where does that leave us?"

"As I said, I can't do much of anything," Peter gave Neal a pointed look.

Neal glanced discreetly back towards Liz, who raised an eyebrow with a smirk. Neal smirked "You know, I'm getting a little chilly by this water. Aren't you? Think I can borrow your jacket?"

Peter sat up straighter.

"I swear to you, Peter. Under no circumstances will I impersonate the FBI,"

***

Moz felt itchy as he wore the FBI jacket. He looked around, knowing full well the capability that Liz had with technology and what she would do to get a picture of him at his lowest.