Book of Hours [4]

"To history, old and new," Neal said.

"How does an FBI agent get a table here?" Maria questioned. "It's, like, a six-month wait,"

"Oh, an FBI agent doesn't," Neal mused. "Don't forget I had a previous life,"

"Oh, yeah. Do you believe in reincarnation?"

"You could say that. How about you? Who were you in your previous life?"

"Same person I've always been, with '90s hair,"

"I doubt that," Neal chuckled. "Let me see your lifeline,"

"No,"

"Come on. It'll help fill in the blanks,"

"You're not seriously gonna read my palm right now, are you?" Maria asked as she handed over her hand.

"Oh. Calluses. Not afraid to get dirty,"

"Well, that's true. What else?"

Neal looked back at her hand. "No ring. Between that and the calluses, I'm guessing work gets in the way,"

"No ring for you either,"

"Yeah. Prison got in the way,"

"So it must be weird for you to work for the FBI,"

"I don't know. It's always interesting to read from the other team's playbook,"

"The other team? I thought you were out of the game,"

"Oh, I am. Retired and rehabilitated," Neal glanced down when he felt his phone vibrate.

"And I'm the Queen of England"

Neal smirked at Liz's antics.

"Have you found your missing Bible?" Maria asked, getting Neal back to the task at hand.

"Not yet," Neal admitted. "You know anyone who wants to buy one?"

"Maybe. Looters approach me all the time. So do buyers. It's a lovely offer,"

"It sure is," Neal mused as he took a sip of his wine.

Maria handed the menu over to Neal. "Surprise me,"

"Oh, you sure? I might order something you don't like, and then where will we be?"

"I trust you. After all, you work for the FBI,"

"More wine?"

"Now you read minds?" Maria teased.

"The question is, do you?"

***

"Some wine?" Maria asked Neal as they entered her home.

"Why not?" Neal shrugged.

"So, what shall we talk about?" Maria wondered as she grabbed the glasses.

"There's this story about these two spies. A French duke and an Italian count. They're sworn enemies who spent the whole year trying to trick each other. But on New Year's Eve, they got to ask one question the other had to answer truthfully,"

"Yes. The trick was asking the right question because you may never get another chance,"

"I've always said honesty is a more challenging game,"

"This wine needs to breathe. I'm gonna get a decanter. Why don't you put some music on?" Maria suggested as she walked out of the room.

"What are you in the mood for?"

"Oh, you know," Maria said.

"Surprise you," Neal nodded as he looked through the vinyl records as Maria walked back into the room. He looked over the Bible. "Ten years painting the same Bible. He's stalking God,"

"Hm." Maria hummed. "If it weren't for the monks' devotion, we would've lost one of the most significant works of Greek literature forever,"

"It's stunning."

Maria moved closer to Neal. "I agree. You know what? I don't trust you,"

"Smart. I wouldn't trust me either,"

"Let's play the spies' game. I'll ask you a question,"

"And I have to tell you the truth?"

"And you have to tell me the truth,"

"Okay. Make it a good one,"

"Which Neal are you? Are you working for the good guys...or are you working a bigger game?"

Neal walked over to where the team had placed a bug and put it in one of the wine glasses. He turned towards Maria. "That answer your question?"

"Maybe," Maria admitted.

"Feds linked Barelli's Bible to Paul Ignazio and you to Paul through his visits to the college. Look, Maria. I'm living proof: if the feds want something from you, they'll turn your life inside out to get it. They'll tell Barelli you have his book,"

"Even if I don't?"

Neal placed Maria's hand on the Bible. "I can get you 250,000 in two days,"

"It is worth a lot more than that,"

"Not if you're in prison or dead. Between the FBI and the mob, there's no way you can move it,"

"The other team's playbook. If I shouldn't risk it, why are you? Won't they send you back for good?"

Neal glanced down to his anklet. "I'm already in prison. We have a deal?"