Flip the Coin

"What are you thinking?" Peter asked Neal.

"I'm thinking it was the accountant in the law office," Neal said, bored.

"With the illegal wire transfer,"

Neal glanced down when he felt a vibrate.

Either that or Colonel Mustard in the library 😛

Neal smirked and discretely sent back a text:

We can pull prints on the candlestick.

Neal was brought back to his thoughts when Peter started talking.

"Let's grab his company's financial records from last year. They're on file,"

Neal looked at him. "You want me to do it?"

Peter nodded.

"We have clerks for that,"

Another vibration:

I resent that

"I got something better. I got you," Peter said.

"Okay," Neal sighed.

***

Neal looked up from the number of binders as Diana entered the room. "Sticking around, huh?"

"Yeah," Diana replied as she pulled a sheet from one of the binders. "Hey, did you once send champagne to a surveillance van?"

"That's the rumor." Neal turned towards her. "Been checking up on me?"

"You were part of my thesis at Quantico."

"Really? How did we do?"

"Ninety-four,"

Neal felt his phone vibrate and knew it was El with a snarky text. "Not bad. Find anything interesting?"

"Truth or rumor?"

"Is there a difference?"

"The counterfeit stock certificates were your only conviction, but you're implicated in at least a dozen other confidence schemes, frauds, and forgeries,"

"Is that why you asked to be reassigned to the White Collar Unit?"

"Yeah, you know, I wasn't gonna pass up a chance to work with someone I've admired since college,"

"Play your cards right, I'm sure we'll make a case or two,"

"Oh, honey. I was talking about Agent Burke,"

Neal discreetly moved his phone to Do Not Disturb as he felt another vibration.

"He caught you twice, right?" Diana stood up to leave.

"Hey, maybe you can help me out because I'm looking for some records here,"

"Yeah. We got clerks for that,"

***

"Found that file," Neal said, only to freeze when he saw Elizabeth with Peter. "This can wait,"

"No," Elizabeth said as Neal turned to leave the office. "Neal, come in. Now, Neal, just because someone's accused of doing something doesn't mean that that person is guilty, right?"

"Define guilty,"

"You think he's the best person to ask?" Peter voiced.

"Neal?" Elizabeth said.

"I suppose it's possible," Neal shrugged.

"See? That's what I thought,"

"This says whereabouts unknown." Peter noted, "Is he on the run?"

"He's at his brother's," Elizabeth admitted. "I didn't know the address,"

"If you're keeping information, that's aiding and abetting,"

"Okay. I think I grabbed the wrong file," Neal stood up to leave. "I'm gonna get the right one,"

"No, stay. My turn," Peter scolded. "If we have your prints and hair on the scene and you're on the run, are you guilty?"

"Oh, now he's the best person to ask?" Elizabeth argued.

Neal sighed in defeat. "Honestly, I think your friend should turn himself in,"

"I completely agree with you. That's why I told Dana to tell him what to do. Turn himself in,"

"So he is turning himself in," Peter said.

"Yes. He's going to be turning himself into you,"

***

"Uh, Peter, thank you," Hana said as she walked over to the car that her husband was inside.

"God, do I feel guilty," Peter muttered as he glanced at Neal. "You think he did it?"

"Artifacts from the royal cemetery crypts of Ur in Egypt, 1000-year-old gold. A lot of money is always a lot of motive," Neal listed. "That's a shame. He melted some of it down," he knew Liz wouldn't be happy with the information.

Hana's husband hugged her. "Hey,"

"I'm sorry," Hana apologized.

"That's all right," He walked over to Peter and Neal.

"John," Peter greeted.

"Peter. I want you to know I didn't do this. It was set up,"

"Your prints were all over the gold, John,"

"My prints?"

"I gotta go,"

"Listen, please. Look, my lawyer said I shouldn't say a word. When I was overseas, a guy asked me to help him return some goods to the States. I said no,"

"John..."

"His name's Aimes. Patrick Aimes. He's in the State Department. Just look into it, please,"

"I will,"