Threads [4]

Neal was pacing the room where the FBI found Dmitri's dead body with a dress stuffed in his mouth.

"Sex games gone wrong?" Cruz suggested.

"Mmm."Neal hummed "Could just be a message. Maybe he was trying to shut him up,"

"Yeah, but we don't even know if Ghovat was here,"

"No, our ghost was here. The knife wound matches the blade with an angled penetration on our foreign national killed by Ghovat. It's him," Peter explained.

"Do we know how Ghovat got out of the building?"

"Yeah. We found a service elevator down the hall. Wasn't on the reconstruction blueprints," Jones replied.

"Which was exactly why he picked this place," Neal noted.

"This guy's good," Peter said.

"That dress..."

"It's not off the rack. There's no tag, which means its couture,"

Neal looked at Peter funny.

"We deal with a lot of knockoffs. Ask me what I know about a Prada bag sometimes,"

"Oh, look at this. There's a slit here," Neal noted as he looked at the dress more closely.

"It's about the size of an electronic security strip. A lot of the designers are building them into the clothes,"

"So basically it's a miniature flash drive?"

"Yeah, in theory, you could piggyback up to four gigs on one,"

"Well, that's enough space to smuggle all kinds of information worth killing for,"

"Lauren," Peter called out "get me a photo book of all the designers who had a show this year. Let's find out who made this dress,"

***

Avet sat in the conference room at the FBI. "I don't know who this Ghovat is," he declared.

"You don't know his name, hmmm? Not even by a rumor?" Peter interrogated.

"My world is fashion,"

"Well, we both know we're not talking fashion,"

"I have a show this evening I must be prepared for,"

"That's on hold,"

"You have no reason for any of this," Avet argued.

"Actually, I do." Peter showed Avet the fabric "Can you explain why one of your designs showed up at my murder scene?"

Avet crossed his arms "You're the police, you tell me,"

"Whatever you did resulted in the death of two people,"

"And if I didn't do it, my son would be dead also,"

"All right," Peter said sympathetically as he sat down across from Avet "what happened?"

"A few hours before my team and I are to leave for Tel Aviv my wife calls, tells me that they have my son,"

"Ghovat kidnapped your child,"

"And then I was told to clear my shop and wait for instructions. And then showed up. Told me I had to smuggle something into the States for him,"

"What was that something?"

"All I know is that it was in the dress. That's it. After we had cleared customs, I heard from my wife that our son is returned to us,"