Part 17

Natalie

"Don't tell me you're on the phone with him again."

I open my eyes, the late afternoon sun gleaming into them suddenly. I reach my arms over my head as a makeshift shield, seeing Melanie hovering above where I'm lying.

"Yeah?" I say, although it exits my mouth as more of a question, rather than an answer.

"Why bother, if you're going to see him soon anyway?" she asks, confusion placed all over her face. Oh, just you wait little one.

"He's driving home now Mel, he gets bored." I reply, to which she shakes her head. I hear Casey's laugh echoing through the call, a smile coming to my face as he does so. 

"Put me on speaker Nat, I'll talk to Mel." he says into the phone. Doing as he says, I unplug my earphones before putting him on speaker, and lifting my phone up towards Mel. She takes it, before lifting it close to her mouth and barking, loudly. 

"Woah, calm down there Mel. I just wanted to talk to my favorite little friend."

"Don't call me little, for your information, I'm only 1 inch shorter than your little wife over there." 

"Ah, sorry there, 1 inch too short to be classified normal, sorry little one." Melanie huffs, as I hear Lera laugh from her own place on the ground. She's got Claudia in her lap, and she's playing with her perfectly soft ears. 

"Do you want to see her of not? Because as her friend, I have the right to bar entry to whoever I see fit."

"Okay. Sorry Mel. Please let me see her." Casey pleads jokingly, his laughter running through the phone and into my ears smoothly. 

"Fine. I guess. But stop stealing her from us." Melanie replies, narrowing her eyes at me. 

"Fine, you can have her on Tuesday's and I'll have her the rest of the time."

This time Persephone laughs, as she lies on her back, her eyes closed tightly. I look over at her and smile, knowing how hard it is for her to just laugh without feeling like shit sometimes. 

Melanie rolls her eyes from where she's standing, before handing me back my phone, muttering something that sounds like 'stupid love' underneath her breath. 

"How far away are you Case?" I ask into the phone, after my giggling has died down.

"Uh, around 20 minutes, where are you guys, I'll come to you." he says, and my heart speeds up due to the fact he's so close. I mean, I know we've become closer since our kiss, but these past few days have felt so... different. Simply being on a phone call with him for a couple of hours has made me feel so much more connected to him, but I don't know if these, euphoric feelings will change once we meet again in person. I know I'm probably worried over nothing, but I can't help but feel worried until he's standing right in front of me. 

"We're sitting on the grass a little outside our dorm, you know the one." I reply, lying back down on the soft ground and closing my eyes. 

"Yes I do." he replies, his voice soft. We sit in silence for a few minutes, as I feel the sun soak into my body. But suddenly, a crackle comes through his phone. I hear the whirring of his engine die down, before a soft click flows into my ear. 

"Are you okay Case? I thought you weren't going to get here for another 15 minutes or so?" I ask, confusion coming to my mind.

"Oh no, I'm not here yet. There was an accident on the road, don't worry, not me, so we've come to a stop and the officials asked us to cut our engines. Sorry, I might be a bit later getting to you." he replies, and I have to stop a frown coming to my lips. It's probably selfish, but all I want to do right now is take him in my arms and feel that he's real.